Bulky Waste Team
Dept. of Development
Plymouth City Council
Plymouth PL1 2AA
- Chartered Institute of Waste Management
- Community Recycling Network
- Association for Organics Recycling
- Department for Environmental Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA)
- We are not responsible for the content of linked websites. Visit our disclaimer page for more information.
Bulky waste collections
We offer a waste collection and disposal service for large bulky items (over 25kg or more and can't be put into your bin).
- £20 for up to three large items
- £40 for up to six large items
Some items may be priced as two items due to their size and weight, for example; three-seater sofas or settees, double cookers, agas or extra long ladders.
To make a booking please phone 01752 304750. We can take payments over the phone with a valid credit or debit card. If it's easier you can also come into the Civic Centre to make a payment. Collections take place throughout the week but the exact date will be arranged during the booking process based on the area in which you live.
What will we collect?
We will collect:
- Fridges and freezers
- Beds and mattresses
- Electrical items
General points to bear in mind:
- All items must be able to be carried by two able bodied people
- Carpet must be manageable by two people, or cut into manageable pieces, rolled and tied. Carpet does not include underlay, this is a separate item
- Items should not be filled with other rubbish
- Items for collection must be easy to get to, outside and at one point on the property
What won't we collect?
We will not collect:
- Car parts and tyres
- Asbestos (for details about removing asbestos visit the asbestos page)
- Building or DIY waste
- Any items that cannot be carried by two people
- Any commercial equipment
- Garden waste - you may live in an area where we seasonally collect garden waste on the same day as your green recycling collection. See our garden waste collection service page for details.
If you have excess rubbish, look at the contents and you may find you can recycle it:
- Use our free doorstep collection service for recyclable materials, visit our recycle from home page to see what you can recycle
- Take recyclable items including glass and clothing to one of our recycling banks or recycling centres
Before you throw your special items away, consider if you could donate them to a local charity or refurbishment organisation or visit our charity shops and reuse organisations page.
Free special waste collections
If you receive any of the following benefits, you are entitled to two free collections in a 12 month period:
- Income support
- Housing benefit
- Council tax benefit
- Pension credits
These collections must be booked separately and on different days.
Disposal of other items
Please take domestic items that we cannot collect to one of our recycling centres at Weston Mill or Chelson Meadow.