Social Inclusion Unit
Plymouth City Council
Plymouth PL1 2AA
Equality and diversity
In April 2010 the government passed a new Equality Act. This has streamlined previous Equality legislation and requirements on Local Authorities. It includes nine protected characteristics:
- Faith, religion and belief
- Gender reassignment
- Pregnancy and maternity
- Marriage and civil partnership
- Sexual orientation
As a Council we are committed to:
- Eliminate discrimination and tackle prejudice
- Advance equality of opportunity
- Foster good relations and promote understanding
- Meet the needs of people within the protected characteristics
- Encourage participation in public life/activities
We pledge to meet both our specific and general duties in this Act.
To find out more about the diversity of our city read our Knowing Your Communities document below.
Read our Corporate Equality and Diversity Policy below.