Social Inclusion Unit
Plymouth City Council
Plymouth PL1 2AA
Equality and diversity
In April 2010 the government passed a new Equality Act. This has streamlined previous Equality legislation and requirements on Local Authorities. It includes nine protected characteristics:
- Faith, religion and belief
- Gender reassignment
- Pregnancy and maternity
- Marriage and civil partnership
- Sexual orientation
As a Council we are committed to:
- Eliminate discrimination and tackle prejudice
- Advance equality of opportunity
- Foster good relations and promote understanding
- Meet the needs of people within the protected characteristics
- Encourage participation in public life/activities
We pledge to meet both our specific and general duties in this Act.
The general equality duty is supported by specific duties which require us to publish data which is reviewed annually. We also have to publish one or more equality objective(s) every four years (from 6 April 2012).
To find out what we do to promote and celebrate equality and diversity in line with the equality duty please read the document below.
To find out more about the diversity of our city read our Knowing Your Communities document below.
Read our Corporate Equality and Diversity Policy below.