Buy a copy of a certificate
We hold the registers for all births, deaths and marriages/civil partnerships in Plymouth from 1837.
You can buy additional certificates when you register a birth, marriage or death, or you can get buy a copy of a certificate after registration.
Apply for a copy of a certificate
Apply for a birth certificate [PDF, 189KB]
Apply for a death certificate [PDF, 158KB]
Apply for a marriage certificate [PDF, 141KB]
Apply for a civil partnership certificate [PDF, 70KB]
We'll need the following information to issue a copy of a certificate:
- Place, sub-district or church
- Forenames, name of spouse, partner or name of parent
Return completed application forms to Plymouth Register Office, Lockyer Street, Plymouth PL1 2QD.
You can also apply by emailing email@example.com with the following details:
- Your name (as applicant), address and contact number
- Certificate details
- Full name(s) at the time of the event
- Date of birth, death or marriage
- Parents' names (birth only)
- Husband/wife name (death only)
- Where the birth, death or marriage occurred
- Birth, marriage or death certificate from current register until archived - £7
- Birth, marriage or death certificate from archived register - £10
If all the required information is provided, we can issue your certificates within five working days. If any of the information is missing, we'll need to do a broader search which could take up to 14 days.
If you need a certificate quickly, for £15 (in addition to the certificate price) we can get a certificate to you within 24 hours. You can collect certificates at no cost from the Plymouth Register Office or we can post your certificate by second class post for £1.
Payment can be made by cheque or postal order (cheques should be made payable to Plymouth City Council) call 01752 268331 or email firstname.lastname@example.org, followed by a telephone call with your credit/debit card details (credit or debit cards must be registered to the applicant and the address the certificate will be sent to).