Stay in the loop
Plymouth - Britain's Ocean City Plymouth Newsroom, latest news and information Love Our Past 2015/16 budget


Mail :
Fraud Section Revenues and Benefits
Plymouth City Council
Plymouth PL1 2AA
Phone :
01752 304450
Email :


  • Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5pm


Woman at a call centre

Benefit fraud

Benefit fraud is where people claim Housing and Council Tax Support and/or Social Security Benefits such as Tax Credits, Job Seekers Allowance and Income Support when they have no right to claim them.

Report Benefit Fraud - Links to a page where a benefit fraud report can be submitted online.

Before you start

Benefit fraud reports can be made anonymously (although by supplying your contact details we may be able to investigate the allegations quicker).

  • The name and address of the claimant, including their description, age, distinguishing features, appearance and any other information you have about the person
  • What type of benefit fraud you think is being committed
  • Why you think they are committing benefit fraud
  • If they are working; their type and place of employment and hours they work (do they wear a uniform to work?)
  • Their vehicle details (including make, colour and registration number)
  • Details of their partner or other adults in the household (including names, relationship to claimant and employment details if known)
  • Property they may own
  • Other names they may be using

Other ways to report

Alternatively, phone the National Benefit Fraud Hotline on 0800 854 440 (between 7am and 11pm seven days a week.


If you have any questions or need help please either:

Further information and documents

Types of benefit fraud

The most common types of benefit fraud are:

  • Landlords who are receiving benefit payments for tenants who do not live in their property
  • A claimant living with an undeclared partner
  • A claimant or their partner are claiming Job Seekers Allowance/Income Support but are working
  • A claimant has undeclared income such as pensions, savings or rent from a lodger
  • When a claimant owns a property but states that they are paying rent for the property, inventing a fictitious landlord and using false rent books and tenancy agreements
  • When a person claims benefit in more than one name or at more than one address
  • When a person claims benefit from an address where they do not live
  • Where a tenancy is created between friends or family where the property would not normally be rented, in order to obtain benefit to which they are not entitled

This list is not exhaustive and if you have concerns about a type of fraud which is not listed please report it