Economic Development Team
Dept. of Development
Plymouth City Council
Plymouth PL1 2AA
- Arts development
- The Business Centre
- Business support and advice
- City Business Park
- City centre
- Economic intelligence
- Events support and advice
- Heritage and history
- Mount Edgcumbe
- Plymouth Your Space
- Property and land to let
- Property and land for sale
- Property search
- Tourist information
- What's on
The Economic Development Service was created as a direct response to the city's growth agenda and aims to secure sustained economic growth through a balanced, dynamic economy.
The service consists of four core teams:
The Economy, Enterprise and Employment team provides a range of services including:
- Commercial property registers and search facility
- Plymouth Your Space is about opening up opportunities to use vacant space, buildings and areas of land. The Council and its partners, including Plymouth Waterfront Partnership, City Centre Company, Plymouth University and City College Plymouth, have identified a wide range of sites and are encouraging creative business or community ideas for these sites. Plymouth Your Space sites are initially along the waterfront and in the city centre. If future resources allow, the project may extend to other parts of the city. Further information on the sites that are available and how to submit a project idea may be found on the Plymouth Your Space website.
- Online business directory
- Provision of statistical information and economic intelligence
- Business-related news and events notifications
- Start a new business and business support and advice provided by our local partners
- Provision of managed workspace at City Business Park and The Business Centre
- Organising and providing advice on city events and providing information on what's on in the city
- Visitor services, tourist information centre and Plymouth Mayflower exhibition
It is also involved in several major projects in the city including delivery of:
- Building Plymouth
- Digital Plymouth
- Employment and employability
- Growth Acceleration and Investment Network (GAIN)
- Local Economic Strategy
- New community economic development trust
- Plan for Jobs
- Plymouth Growth Board
- Regional Growth Fund
- Urban Enterprise Programme
It also represents the city on the Heart of the South West Local Enterprise Partnership.
For further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01752 307996.
The Council's commercial estate comprises a diverse range of property including industrial estates, retail units, offices, and leisure properties, with a total capital value of £125m producing approximately £8m of rental income.
The Land and Property team manages 114 industrial units located at Belliver, Devonport, Millbay, Newnham, and Parkway, ranging in size from 600 to 6,500 sq ft, together with 45 retail units located primarily on the periphery of the city centre, ranging in size from 160 to 1,100 sq ft with vacancies occasionally arising.
It is also responsible for the management of Plymouth City Market in Frankfort Gate which has provided a focal point for local traders and shoppers for almost fifty years, with over 100 stalls selling a diverse range of local produce.
For further information, please email email@example.com or telephone 01752 304161.
The Strategic Development Projects team focuses on the delivery of major commercial development projects that are being promoted by the Council to advance its Local Development Framework and Local Economic Strategy to create new jobs, increase economic productivity, and to improve Plymouth as a commercial location. We work very closely with other teams in the Economic Development Service and other specialists within other Council services and within our Place directorate. We welcome discussions with landowners, developers, and other stakeholders who could be involved in the delivery of major commercial development projects.
The team’s work includes the promotion of new business development opportunities within the Plymouth International Medical & Technology Park (PIMTP). A list of available development sites at PIMTP is available on the land and property page.
For further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01752 305173.
Arts and Heritage
The Arts and Heritage team is responsible for several areas of delivery including:
- Museums - City Museum and Art Gallery (an Arts Council England Major Partner Museum), Elizabethan House, Merchant's House, Smeaton's Tower
- Arts development – public art, Vital Sparks, CHART (Council House Art) Project, Visual Arts Plymouth
- Archives – family history, local history and house history
- Mount Edgcumbe house and country park
- History Festival – coordinating Plymouth’s annual History Festival each May
- New Expressions – lead partner for this national Arts Council funded programme that supports collaboration between museums and contemporary visual artists
- iOrchestra – lead Plymouth partner for this ground breaking community engagement project with the Philharmonia Orchestra
- History Centre – delivering Plymouth’s vision to create a major new historic and cultural attraction at the heart of the city centre
These four teams provide a mix of services to business and ensure strategies and initiatives are in place that deliver new jobs, tackle economic inequality and make Plymouth a place where business can flourish. Increasing the number of visitors to the city and improving the visitor experience along with encouraging further development in the city are other key activities of the service.