Economic Development Team
Dept. of Development
Plymouth City Council
Plymouth PL1 2AA
The Economic Development Service was created as a direct response to the city's growth agenda and aims to secure sustained economic growth through a balanced, dynamic economy.
The service consists of four core teams:
The Economy, Enterprise and Employment team provides a range of services including:
- Commercial property registers and search facility
- Online business directory
- Provision of statistical information and economic intelligence
- Business-related news and events notifications
- Start a new business and business support and advice provided by our local partners
- Provision of managed workspace at City Business Park and The Business Centre
- Organising and providing advice on city events and providing information on what's on in the city
- Visitor services, tourist information centre and Plymouth Mayflower exhibition
It is also involved in several major projects in the city including delivery of:
- Digital Plymouth
- Employment and employability
- Growth Acceleration and Investment Network (GAIN)
- Local Economic Strategy
- New community economic development trust
- Plan for Jobs
- Plymouth Growth Board
- Regional Growth Fund
- Urban Enterprise Programme
It also represents the city on the Heart of the South West Local Enterprise Partnership.
For further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01752 307996.
The Council's commercial estate comprises a diverse range of property including industrial estates, retail units, offices, and leisure properties, with a total capital value of £125m producing approximately £8m of rental income.
The Land and Property team manages 114 industrial units located at Belliver, Devonport, Millbay, Newnham, and Parkway, ranging in size from 600 to 6,500 sq ft, together with 45 retail units located primarily on the periphery of the city centre, ranging in size from 160 to 1,100 sq ft with vacancies occasionally arising.
It is also responsible for the management of Plymouth City Market in Frankfort Gate which has provided a focal point for local traders and shoppers for almost fifty years, with over 100 stalls selling a diverse range of local produce.
For further information, please email email@example.com or telephone 01752 304161.
The Strategic Development Projects team focuses on the delivery of major commercial development projects that are being promoted by the Council to advance its Local Development Framework and Local Economic Strategy to create new jobs, increase economic productivity, and to improve Plymouth as a commercial location. We work very closely with other teams in the Economic Development Service and other specialists within other Council services and within our Place directorate. We welcome discussions with landowners, developers, and other stakeholders who could be involved in the delivery of major commercial development projects.
For further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01752 304161.
Museums, Heritage and Arts
The Museums, Arts and Heritage team is responsible for several projects including
- Arts development - art projects and initiatives, grant applications, public art
- Heritage and history - family history, historic environment, local history, naval studies, museums
- Mount Edgcumbe house and country park
- Museums - City Museum and Art Gallery, Elizabethan House, Merchant's House, Smeaton's Tower
These four teams provide a mix of services to business and ensure strategies and initiatives are in place that deliver new jobs, tackle economic inequality and make Plymouth a place where business can flourish. Increasing the number of visitors to the city and improving the visitor experience along with encouraging further development in the city are other key activities of the service.
An overview of the city containing labour market and other useful information is available in the document below.