Stay in the loop
Plymouth - Britain's Ocean City Plymouth Newsroom, latest news and information Zinio magazines


Mail :
General enquiries
Plymouth City Council
Plymouth PL1 2AA
Phone :
01752 668000
Email :
Fax :
01752 304880

We’re testing our new website. Please have a look and tell us what you think. Links to

Death and bereavement

Register a death

When someone dies there are many decisions and arrangements to be made. Unfortunately these often have to be made at a time of personal distress. These pages give you help and guidance about what to do from the moment of a person’s death.

For example, you will have to get a medical certificate showing the cause of death, get the death registered, arrange the funeral and decide what to do with the property and possessions.

These pages also tell you about help you can get from social security and some organisations who can give you support and comfort.

Practical advice

You can get practical help from a funeral director, the family doctor, a solicitor, welfare officers and personnel departments at workplaces, your minister of religion, a social services department or Citizens Advice. A health visitor or district nurse who attended the deceased may be able to help. If death was in hospital ask the sister or hospital chaplain.

Support and comfort

You may feel that you want more than practical advice, and that you need to talk with someone sympathetic who is outside your immediate family or with other people who have been through a similar experience. In addition to ministers of religion and hospital chaplains there are several organizations in England and Wales which give this kind of support.