- Social inclusion and community cohesion
- Asylum seekers
- Community cohesion
- Disablist, faith and belief, homophobic, racist and transphobic incidents
- Equality and diversity
- Equality impact assessments
- Financial and social inclusion
- Gypsies and travellers
- Race relations
- Small grants
- Translate Plymouth
- Migrant workers
Social Inclusion Unit
Plymouth City Council
Plymouth PL1 2AA
Plymouth is a multi-cultural city with many diverse communities. It is the responsibility of the Social Inclusion Unit to lead on all equality, diversity, community cohesion, financial, and social inclusion issues which may affect our citizens. It also plays a key role in developing and maintaining our relationship with the community and voluntary sector, our strategic work on volunteering and delivering our Armed Forces Community Covenant.
Our team and its role in the council and city
Our team has specific responsibilities in relation to the nine 'protected characteristics' which are;
- Faith, religion and belief
- Gender reassignment
- Pregnancy and maternity
- Marriage and civil partnership
- Sexual orientation
Our services are delivered with our diverse communities in mind. By working co-operatively with our internal and external partners, we support and advise on cultural and organisational changes.
We work hard towards ensuring that significant social exclusion no longer exists in our city by eliminating discrimination and tackling prejudice in all its' forms by:
- Eliminating unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation and other conduct prohibited by the Act.
- Advancing equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not.
- Foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not.
Britain’s Oceans City - One of Europe's most vibrant waterfront cities where an outstanding quality of life is enjoyed by everyone.
Our valuesWe w
ill be democratic, responsible, fair and we will work with our partners to achieve our ambitions.
We will create a fairer Plymouth where everyone does their bit.