Plymouth City Council
Plymouth PL1 2AA
About Plymouth City Council
Plymouth is a unitary authority, which means it is responsible for all local services including transport, social care and education. Many of the services we provide are statutory responsibilities and we have identified others as priorities. For example, we have a legal duty to dispose of the city's waste while we are not legally obliged to provide public toilets.
Plymouth City Council has a Labour administration following the local elections on 3 May 2012.
Labour has 31 seats, the Conservatives 23 seats and there is 1 independent Councillor. There is currently one vacancy in the Southway ward.
A Cabinet is selected by the ruling group. The Cabinet meets in public every four weeks to make key decisions. Each Cabinet member has a special area of responsibility or 'portfolio'. Cabinet members are also given the authority to make detailed decisions that affect their area of responsibility.
The leader and Cabinet make most of key decisions about how the Council is run and how the budget is allocated.
- View the Cabinet structure [561KB, PDF]
- Find your local Councillor
- View committee meetings
- Follow PlymLeader on Twitter
The current Lord Mayor is Councillor Wright.
We have three directorates focused on People, Place and Corporate Services. Each directorate includes four departments, each headed by an assistant director.
Vision and priorities
Our vision is for Plymouth to become "one of Europe’s finest, most vibrant waterfront cities, where an outstanding quality of life is enjoyed by everyone.
Our priorities are to -
- Deliver growth - develop Plymouth as a thriving growth centre by creating the conditions for investment in quality homes, jobs and infrastructure
- Raise aspiration - promote Plymouth and encourage people to aim higher and take pride in the city
- Reduce inequalities - reduce the inequality gap, particularly in health, between communities
- Provide value for communities - work together to maximise resources to benefit customers and make internal efficiencies
- View our corporate plan