Stay in the loop
Plymouth - Britain's Ocean City Plymouth Newsroom, latest news and information Love Our Past Pledge Plymouth


Mail :
Corporate Information Manager
Plymouth City Council
Plymouth PL1 2AA
Phone :
01752 306800
Email :



Woman at a call centre

Personal information request

You have the right to see what personal information the Council holds about you under the Data Protection Act.

What is data?

For the purpose of the Data Protection Act, data is information about living people.

[Back to top]

How do I make a request?

Please read the 'seeing records held about you' leaflet and complete the 'subject access request form' below:

[Back to top]

Can I apply on behalf of someone else?

If you are a parent you can make a subject access request on behalf of your child as long as it is in the child's best interests. Consent will be sought from children if they are over 12 years old. You may also appoint a representative to deal with the request on your own behalf.

[Back to top]

How much does it cost?

There is currently a fee of £10. There are special rules that apply for paper based education records from Schools (sliding scale - maximum £50). You will be notified of the amount payable before the records are released.

[Back to top]

Will I receive everything?

Unless the information you have requested is covered by an exemption we will send it to you. Details of exemptions that may apply can be found on the website. If we are unable to release the information to you we will tell you the reason, including any exemptions that apply.

[Back to top]

How long will it take?

We will send you the information as soon as we can. The Act gives us 40 days to respond following receipt of the request, the fee and the information needed to confirm your identify.

[Back to top]

How do I access pupil records?

Under the Education (Pupil Information) (England) Regulations you have the right to access your child's educational records by sending a written request to the head teacher. Please see our access to pupil records page for more information.

[Back to top]

How do I find out more?

For more information about the Data Protection Act, which includes guidance about exemptions that may apply, please see below:

[Back to top]