Plymouth and West Devon Record Office
Plymouth PL4 0JW
Plymouth City Council
Plymouth PL1 2AA
- Plymouth and West Devon Record Office
Plymouth PL4 0JW
Plymouth and West Devon Record Office Google Map
The Plymouth and West Devon Record Office is the principal archive repository within Plymouth and the West Devon area. It exists to collect and preserve the historical records of the area and to promote and encourage their use by all who want to study them.
The Record Office holds original records (archives) of many organisations and individuals. Dating from circa 1190, they include deeds, charters, minute books, letters, registers, manorial documents, reports, diaries, financial records, maps, plans, photographs, card indexes, microfilms and microfiche.
We are always interested to hear of any potential gifts or deposits of archival material. Please contact the office if you are aware of any such items or if you want to discuss the preservation of your records.
- Record office catalogues - We have a number of online catalogues to help you with your research.
- Family history records - Details the types of records most useful to family historians including those on the Find My Past Website.
- Archives in focus - From pasty wars to the history of Plymouth's ships, see details of some of our collections.
- Send us an enquiry and information on the Freedom of Information Act. Please note: If you would like to make a Freedom of Information request to other Plymouth City Council departments, please see the general requests for information page.
- Archive researchers - Plymouth and West Devon Record Office is unable to undertake detailed research. We do however have a list of local researchers who can undertake any research on your behalf.
- Buy Plymouth prints - Browse or buy photographs, documents and artworks from Plymouth's historic collections and archives.
- Education and outreach - Details of the work undertaken by our Community Engagement Officer.
- Projects - Some of the projects we are currently working on.