Plymouth City Museum and Art Gallery
Plymouth City Council
Plymouth PL1 2AA
- Plymouth City Museum and Art Gallery
Plymouth PL4 8AJ
Merchant's House Google Map
- British Library
- Department for Culture, Media and Sport
- The Council for Museums, Libraries and Archives
- The Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals
- Disabled Go - Merchant's House
- We are not responsible for the content of linked websites. Visit our disclaimer page for more information.
Opening dates and times
- Tuesday 1 April to Saturday 4 October 2014
- 10am to 12 noon and 1pm to 5pm, Tuesday to Saturday
- Closed Good Friday, Sunday, Monday and bank holidays
- Last entries 30 minutes before closing
Additional opening dates (opening times are as above)
- Sunday 11 May 2014
- Saturday 25 October 2014
- Tuesday 28 October to Saturday 1 November 2014
- Thursday 27 November 2014
- Saturday 14 February 2015
- Tuesday 17 to Saturday 21 February 2015
Discover more about Plymouth's past history
A historic building tucked away down one of the city's oldest streets - the Merchant's House is Plymouth's finest surviving example of a 16th/17th century residence. During the 17th century it was home to three Plymouth mayors including privateer William Parker, a friend of Sir Francis Drake.
Climb the winding stairs and you will find the Merchant's House packed with Plymouth's history, a variety of old curiosities and everyday items.
Highlights include a 17th century Trelawney mantelpiece, genuine gold painted 19th century shop front signs, a huge doll's house that dates from the 1870s, a ducking stool, local truncheons and manacles, a Victorian school room and a Blitz-themed room.
In 2014 you can also see our special Diary of a Soldier display.
- For admission prices please see our visitor information page.
- For a further insight into the history of the house through the ages visit our history page.
- Visit our museum education pages for details of education activities relating to the Merchant's House.
- Visit our flickr site to see images of the house.