The Library includes some two thousand or so volumes, mostly dating from the period of Charles Rogers (1711 to 1784), but also incorporating the legacy of William Townson (1682 to 1740) and the library established by his father Robert during the 17th century. In addition there are some later acquisitions representing contributions by all three Cottons, especially from William Cotton III (1794 to 1863) of Ivybridge.
A large part of the library is housed in a series of glazed bookcases, which Rogers had commissioned. Mostly the volumes are bound in vellum or leather and are decorated with intricate gilt designs of the period.
The content of the library reflects the taste and interests of an 18th century connoisseur, as might be expected of a collector such as Rogers. They cover many subjects and themes, including many English and historical writings, philosophy, history, literature, travel, archaeology and the arts. Many of the books are illustrated and there are medieval illuminated Books of Hours and some early printed books.
To view a selection of illustrations from some of the most colourful or interesting volumes, please refer to the documents below.