Stay in the loop
Plymouth - Britain's Ocean City Plymouth Newsroom, latest news and information Summer Reading Challenge


Early Years Service
  01752 307450


A small child painting

Setting up as a childminder

As a registered childminder you will:

  • be able to care for your own children at the same time (if you have a family)
  • offer the children you care for a happy and stimulating environment
  • provide early learning and childcare and see children develop
  • work in your home, choosing the hours you work and the services you provide

If you are interested in setting up as a childminder you should contact Advice Plymouth on 03444 111 444.

Once you have registered an interest with Advice Plymouth, the Early Years Service run childminder pre-registration briefing sessions that you must attend to learn more about becoming a childminder.

The Early Years Service will be able to offer advice and support with:

  • the Ofsted registers and application process
  • ensuring that you will meet the necessary requirements and regulations
  • the Early Years Foundation Stage framework
  • all aspects of health, safety and risk assessment
  • training
  • policies and procedures

To register with Ofsted you will need to complete the online registration process.

Before you complete your online registration forms you must complete and submit you Health Declaration Form to you GP. You must also complete a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check through Capita, for yourself and every person aged 16 or over working or living on the premises, before you apply to Ofsted.

You will also need to attend a 12 hour pediatric first-aid course before you start minding children.

Guidance and forms about registration and Ofsted requirements can be found on the Ofsted guidance pages.

[Back to top]