Governor Development Team
Plymouth City Council
Plymouth PL1 2AA
|01752 307480 / 307483|
The Governor Development Team is based at Windsor House and consists of the Governor Development Officer, a Governor Adviser and two Central Clerks. The team offers advice, support, information and training for all governors, headteachers, principals and clerks. There are approximately 1500 governors in the city's schools and academies.
The team is proud to hold the Customer Service Excellence Standard which is reassessed annually by an external body.
Information, guidance and training
Information, guidance and training is provided through a subscription service. The Governor Development Team provides advice, support and development opportunities through:
- An email and telephone advice helpline
- An electronic newsletter sent to all governors at least six times a year
- A centrally based training programme
- In school bespoke training
- An induction programme and handbook for all new governors
- Governors' corner - a collection of useful books and publications available for all governors to borrow free of charge. These are on display in the Atrium of Windsor House and are accessible on weekdays until 8pm.
Advice helpline 01752 307480 or 01752 307483
The helpline provides a confidential service for governors, headteachers and clerks dealing with all types of queries and concerns on aspects of school governance. It is available from 8am to 4.30pm Monday to Thursday and from 8am to noon on Friday during term time.
Governors' briefing is the electronic newsletter for governors and clerks published at least six times a year. It includes:
- Articles on best practice
- The latest news from the world of education
- Guidance for governors relating to changes in legislation
- Details of training events, briefings and conferences
- Articles from governors on matters of interest
The team delivers an extensive yearly programme of training to meet the needs of governors.
- Training is available on a wide variety of subjects of interest to school and academy governors
- The team welcomes requests from schools and academies for individual governing body training
- A Governor’s Professional Development handbook is sent to all governors. This handbook includes details of all the governor training courses for the academic year, a governor’s Code of Conduct and a professional development profile.
Support for new governors
On appointment, new governors will receive a welcome pack containing the 'A to Z of Governance' handbook and an invitation to the next 'new governors' induction session' which is held regularly throughout the year. The induction training is offered in an evening and daytime format. This is vital training for governors in their first year.
The Governor Development Team also carries out a variety of duties covering the following areas:
- Authority governor appointments
- Maintaining the governor database
- Enhanced Criminal Records Bureau checks on governors
- Working with Governing Bodies striving for excellence
- Recruitment of governors
- Succession planning
- Preparing for Ofsted