Abandoned Vehicles Team
Plymouth City Council
Plymouth PL1 2AA
- Devon and Cornwall Constabulary
- The Driving and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)
- DEFRA (The Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
- The Department for Transport (DfT)
- We are not responsible for the content of linked websites. Visit our disclaimer page for more information.
It is an offence to abandon a vehicle, motorcycle, trailer, caravan, boat on a trailer or anything that has formed part of a motor vehicle on any land in the open air or on a highway.
A Fixed Penalty Notice of £200 may be issued to the person responsible for abandoning a vehicle.
We have a duty to investigate alleged abandoned vehicles and, if appropriate, arrange for their removal and disposal if no one claims ownership. If you have recently had a legal notice attached to your vehicle, you should contact us immediately.
Vehicles no longer have to display a valid tax disc. However, they do still need to be taxed.
You can check if a vehicle is taxed by looking on Vehicle Enquiry Service website
The DVLA have a duty to remove with vehicles that are untaxed. Untaxed vehicles are not the responsibility of Plymouth City Council.
If a vehicle is out of tax by more than 31 days, this should be reported to the DVLA at NSL Services on 03300 087881.