Plymouth City Council
Plymouth PL1 2AA
- Chelson Meadow
- Weston Mill
Weston Mill Road
Open 364 days a year between 8.30am and 6.30pm, closing only on Christmas day*, More information on Chelson Meadow...
Open 364 days a year, closing only on Christmas day*, between 9am and 6pm throughout the year. More information on Weston Mill...
*This site is open 364 days a year for Plymouth residents to visit and dispose of waste, however the offices are not and will be closed at lunchtimes and outside of normal office hours.
As well as disposing of household waste you can take along your garden waste which will be turned into compost.
The following household materials are currently accepted at each site and are being sent for re-use or recycling at processing plants around the country:
Recycling and re-use
- Car batteries
- Electrical appliances
- Fluorescent tubes and low energy lamps
- Fridges and freezers
- Garden waste
- Gas bottles
- Glass bottles and jars
- Glass (sheet - Chelson Meadow only)
- Household batteries
- Low energy lamps and fluorescent tubes
- Oil (cooking - Chelson Meadow only)
- Oil (engine)
- Plasterboard (Chelson Meadow only)
- Plastic bottles
- Soil and hardcore
- Video Tapes
- Asbestos (Chelson Meadow only)
Disposing of asbestos
The Environment Agency classifies all asbestos containing materials as special waste. However, you are permitted to take small amounts of bonded asbestos waste (from your own house) to Chelson Meadow, household waste recycling centre for safe disposal. You must not take it to any other recycling centre in Plymouth or put it out with your refuse.
Please contact Chelson Meadow on 01752 408408 before taking asbestos waste to the recycling centre and for advice on disposal. Due to the risks involved in handling asbestos in its various forms it is strongly recommended that professional advice is sought and a licensed dismantler/disposer is used to deal with these potentially harmful wastes.
If you are disposing of bonded asbestos from your home, you should bear in mind the following points:
- Cement bonded or sheet asbestos is accepted only at the Chelson Meadow Household Waste Recycling Centre based at The Ride, Plymstock, Plymouth PL9 7JA.
- The bonded asbestos must be double wrapped in strong bags or plastic sheeting and sealed using gaffer or duct tape prior to transporting it and taking it to the Recycling Centre
- When you arrive at the Recycling Centre you must inform the member of staff based at the entrance to the site that the load contains bonded asbestos in sealed bags or sealed plastic sheeting and you will be directed to Zone D, the hazardous waste area.
- You will be asked to complete a form in order that a record can be kept of the source of the asbestos for administrative purposes.
It is recommended that residents use gloves and masks when handling bonded asbestos. Do not break, drill, scrub or saw the asbestos.
The cloth, mask and gloves should be double bagged along with the bonded asbestos ans sealed and taken to the Recycling Centre for disposal.
View Plymouth Recycling Centres in a larger map