Plymouth City Council
Plymouth PL1 2AA
- Chartered Institute of Waste Management
- Community Recycling Network
- Association for Organics Recycling
- Department for Environmental Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA)
- We are not responsible for the content of linked websites. Visit our disclaimer page for more information.
- Bank/public holiday collections
- Find your bin collection day
- Report a missed bin collection
- Request a bulky item collection
We collect rubbish that can't be recycled once a week. Householders are given a 240 litre brown wheeled bin, or if they don't have the room to store or put out a bin for collection, they are given a reusable plastic bag.
What is taken in the brown bin or bag?
Examples of things you can put into your brown bin are:
- Cling film
- Cosmetics and creams
- Crisp packets
- Disposable nappies
- Domestic batteries
- Dust (from vacuum cleaners)
- Food waste that cannot be composted at home
- Plastic bags
- Sweet wrappers
- Tetra packs
If you have a reusable plastic bag, items in the bag should be bagged up in plastic bags.
Hazardous waste and chemicals must be taken to the household waste recycling centres.
What cannot go in the brown bin or bag?
- Car batteries
- Computer monitors
- Flammable items
- Fluorescent tubes
- Heavy items
- Hot ash
- Oil filters
- Rubble or builders waste
Please put your bin or bag on the boundary of your property by 6.30am on the day of your collection (but not before 6.30pm the night before).
If you are not able to put your bin out for collection due to age or disability and there is no one in your household that can help, you may be eligible for our assisted collection. You can download an application form below, or contact us for more information.
Need extra bins?
If your home has six or more people living in it, you can ask for more containers. However, if you recycle you should have enough room in your bin or bag.
Need a smaller bin?
If your wheeled bin is too big for your household's needs and you are not producing much rubbish, please contact us and we will be happy to replace it with a smaller 140 litre bin.
If your bin has not been collected:
- Was it put out by 6.30am?
- Was it at the boundary of your property?
- Was it put out on the correct collection day?
Please call us on 01752 668000 by the end of the following working day and we will return within 48 hours (not including weekends and bank holidays) to empty your bin. Alternatively you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org - additional contact details are shown at the top of the page.