Stay in the loop
Plymouth - Britain's Ocean City Plymouth Newsroom, latest news and information Love Our Past Zinio magazines


Mail :
Private Rented Team
Plymouth City Council
Plymouth PL1 2AA
Phone :
01752 307075
Email :



Information provided here is for all tenants, regardless of whether you are living in privately rented or social housing. It can also help you if you are thinking of moving into rented housing.

You can find advice about what your landlord should do for you and your obligations to them. There is also information about what to do if problems arise with poor housing conditions and the help the Council (and other agencies) may be able to give you. Where there are problems with your accommodation we will try to work with your landlord to improve matters both for you and for future tenants.

The documents at the bottom of the page provide more information about renting, deposits and problems including dampness. The following leaflets are helpful if you are looking for private rented housing:

Although the document below is aimed at landlords, it will also help tenants

(Although this second document is aimed at landlords it will also help tenants)

Please note that we do not have any housing stock of our own. We work with a number of partner social landlords (known as registered providers). For more information please visit our apply for a home page.

Landlord responsibilities

Before, or at the start of the tenancy, the landlord should provide you with the following -

  • Information on the tenancy deposit scheme which protects the deposit (if one taken). This only applies where the tenancy is an Assured Shorthold Tenancy
  • A copy of the energy performance certificate (where the letting is a house, self contained flat or shared house). This indicates how much it will cost to heat your new home
  • A copy of the gas safety certificate (where gas fittings are present)

Your landlord should provide you with accommodation that is in reasonable repair, safe and healthy to live in. If significant problems such as dampness or disrepair occur, then the landlord has a duty to deal with them.

The tenancy should be managed properly, ensuring that you have the 'right of quiet enjoyment' and privacy of your own home. If your landlord wants you to leave, you should be given proper notice. When you leave, your landlord should return any deposit owed, unless there are reasonable grounds for keeping this back - such as damage to the letting.

Where your home is a part of a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) your landlord will have responsibilities to ensure that the house, especially the common parts, are properly managed. In addition, some HMOs may require a licence.

These are properties that -

  • Are occupied by five (or more) people and
  • Those people are members of more than one family and
  • The house is arranged on three (or more) storeys and
  • The house is not fully arranged as self contained flats and
  • The house is not owned, or managed, by a Registered Social Landlord (this usually means a housing association)

All five points must apply before a property requires a licence (but not all such properties do require a licence). You can check whether the house has (or needs) a licence by contacting us.

Tenant responsibilities

In return, you should pay the rent, treat the accommodation with respect, report any problems that occur and give the landlord reasonable access for inspection and to carry out works. You should be considerate to your neighbours and comply with the conditions of tenancy.

Tenancy agreements are legally binding contracts; you should fully understand what yours means before signing it.

When there are problems

You should tell your landlord (or agent) of any problems. It may be helpful to do this in writing.

If your landlord -

  • does not respond, or
  • does not carry out promises to improve matters, or
  • there are dangerous problems with the letting

You can contact the us for advice by email or telephone 01752 307075.

[Back to top]

Problems that can arise with the standard of housing

We may be able to help/advise you with the following -

  • Dampness, water penetration and mould
  • Lack of adequate heating (or insulation)
  • Unsafe stairs/steps, uneven slippery falls and yards etc. (slips and falls)
  • Disrepair (leaking roofs, rotten floors, windows not working etc)
  • Lack of hot water or other basic amenities
  • Fire safety
  • Electrical or gas safety
  • Overcrowding
  • Service disconnection (where the landlord is responsible for the supply)
  • Security
  • Poor management of the common parts of the house/building and external areas where there are flats or bedsits
  • Anything else about your home that may affect your health and safety
  • You think you are being overcharged for electricity or gas

Please note that, in general, we cannot help you with re-housing; our role is to improve housing for your benefit and that of future occupiers.

Please contact the Private Rented Team by telephone 01752 307075, or by emailing us.

[Back to top]

Problems that can arise with the tenancy

We may be able to help/advise you with the following -

  • If the landlord, agent or their workmen let themselves into your home without your consent
  • If you leave, but the landlord unreasonably retains some or all of the deposit
  • If the landlord wants you to leave, but may not have properly followed the legal procedures to end the tenancy
  • If you have problems paying the rent
  • If there are unfair terms in your Tenancy Agreement

Please contact the Housing Options Team by telephone 01752 305496, or by emailing us.

[Back to top]

Other matters

The Environmental Regulation Department of Plymouth City Council may be able to help/advise you with the following:

  • Furniture and equipment safety 01752 304141
  • Noise nuisance 01752 304147
  • Pest Control 01752 304147
  • Collection of bulky refuse 01752 304750

Please contact the Environmental Regulation Department on the above telephone numbers, or by email.

Plymouth Access to Housing (PATH) may be able to help you if:

  • You do not have enough money to fund a deposit
  • You require assistance with finding accommodation
  • You need help with understanding the accommodation you can afford

Please contact PATH by telephone 01752 255889, or by email.

he Revenues and Benefits Service of Plymouth City Council may be able to help/advise you with the following:

  • Housing benefit issues
  • Council tax

Please contact the Revenues and Benefits Service by telephone 01752 304527, or by email.

[Back to top]

Further reading

[Back to top]