Plymouth Central Library
Plymouth City Council
Plymouth PL1 2AA
- Plymouth Central Library
Central Library Google Map
The Central Library is near Drake Circus, next to the Museum and opposite the University.
New Central LibraryFind out more and have your say on the plans for the New Central Library due to open in spring 2016.
Christmas and New Year opening hours
|Thursday 24 December 2015 (Christmas Eve)||8.30am to 5pm|
|Friday 25 December 2015 (Christmas Day||Closed|
|Saturday 26 December 2015||Closed|
|Monday 28 December 2015||Closed|
|Tuesday 29 December 2015||9am to 5pm|
|Wednesday 30 December 2015||9am to 5pm|
|Thursday 31 December 2015||9am to 5pm|
|Friday 1 January 2016||Closed|
|Saturday 2 January 2016||9am to 5pm|
We wish all of our customers a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Visit Library Online for eBooks, eAudio, magazines and more.
|Monday||8.30am to 5pm|
|Tuesday||8.30am to 7pm|
|Wednesday||8.30am to 7pm|
|Thursday||8.30am to 8pm|
|Friday||8.30am to 5pm|
|Saturday||9am to 5pm|
A post box at the back of the Central Library on Tavistock Place allows you to return items outside of library opening hours.
Internet and Wi-Fi
- Quiet study room
- Scanner and drinks machine
Joining the library
Find out how to join the library.
Services and resources
Adult fiction and non-fiction books to borrow, including collections of audio books, large print books and books in other languages.
Children's library with fiction, non-fiction and picture books to borrow, computers, story and music CDs and family sharing collection.
Young people's section including fiction, graphic novels and Manga.
DVDs (including Blu-Ray) to hire.
Music scores, sheet music and orchestral sets to borrow. Find out more about our music service.
Quick use computers.
Energy monitors to borrow
Computers with Internet and MS Office free for up to two hours per day.
The quiet room
Study space, quick reference books, directories, Intellectual property information, Newspapers and magazines.
The history room
Collection of books, maps, directories, journals and pamphlets relating to Plymouth's history. Plus everything you need for researching your family tree. Including parish registers and census returns for Plymouth, plus the GRO Registers of Births, Marriages and Deaths. Free access online to Ancestry Library Edition and Find My Past.
Find out more about the History Room.
- Seats 100 theatre style
- Suitable for conferences, film shows, exhibitions and training
- Digital projector, screen, PA system, DVD player and Wii all available
For more information, including hire charges and terms and conditions visit our library meeting rooms page.
Regular events in the Central Library
- Rhymetimes: Mondays 11am and Thursdays 2pm
- Storytime and crafts: Wednesdays 11am
- Yu-Gi-Oh! Club: Second Friday of the month, 4.30pm to 6pm
- Teen review group: second Thursday of the month, 4pm to 5.30pm
- Crime book group (For lovers of crime fiction) First Tuesday of the month, 5pm to 6pm
- VIP Readers group (For the visually impaired) First Monday of the month, 11am to 12 noon.
- Feel Better with a Book
Memory group: Mondays 2pm to 3.30pm
Tuesdays: 2pm to 3.30pm
- Open for Advice: Drop in sessions with an Open University tutor. Monthly on Thursdays or Saturdays, 11am to 1.30pm. Contact the library for dates.
- Friendship group: First Wednesday of the month, 2pm.
- Free film shows - Monthly. Check our what's on for details.
- Councillor Surgery with Chaz Singh (Drake Ward): First Saturday of the month. Drop in between 10am and 12 noon.
- The Internet for beginners: Every Friday, 2.30pm to 4pm. Phone 01752 305902 to book.
- Work club - help for jobseekers. Every Tuesday, drop in between 11am to 1pm
- Gadget drop in - Tips and advice on how to make the most of iPads, tablets, smartphones, e-readers and more. Every Tuesday, from 2pm to 3.30pm.
All other events and activities are listed on our What's on page.
View Plymouth City Council Central Library in a larger map