Plymouth Central Library
Plymouth City Council
Plymouth PL1 2AA
The Central Library is at 167 - 171 Armada Way (opposite the Armada Centre)
The postcode is PL1 1HZ.
Summer bank holiday 2016
This library will be closed on Monday 29 August for the Summer bank holiday.
Visit our Library Online for eBooks, eAudio, magazines and more.
|Monday||8.30am to 6pm|
|Tuesday||8.30am to 6pm|
|Wednesday||8.30am to 6pm|
|Thursday||8.30am to 8pm|
|Friday||8.30am to 6pm|
|Saturday||9am to 5pm|
Internet and Wi-Fi
Joining the library
Find out how to join the library.
Meeting Rooms for hire
The Central Library has the following rooms available for hire. Visit the library meeting rooms page for more details.
Scott Meeting Room
- Seats up to 40 theatre styleAV projector and sound system
- Flexible - can be divided into two rooms seating up to 15 or 25
Moxon Meeting Room
- Seats up to twelve boardroom style
Digital and Training Room
- Flexible training space for up to ten people
- 6 PCs
- 65" LED interactive screen
What you'll find in the Central Library
- Health and Wellbeing
- Society and Belief
- Sport, Leisure and Home
and Young Adult books
Large Print Audiobooks
Reservations for collection
Toilet and Baby Changing
- Arts, Language and Literature
- Business and Money
- History and Warfare
- Science and Technology
Local and Family History Collection
Collection of books, maps, directories, journals and pamphlets relating to Plymouth's history. Plus everything you need for researching your family tree. Including parish registers and census returns for Plymouth, plus the GRO Registers of Births, Marriages and Deaths. Free access online to Ancestry Library Edition and Find My Past.
Regular events in the Central Library
- Rhymetimes: Mondays 11am, Wednesdays 11am and Thursdays 2pm
- Storytime and crafts: Wednesdays 2pm
- Teen review group: second Thursday of the month, 4pm to 5.30pm
- Crime book group (for lovers of crime fiction): First Tuesday of the month, 5pm to 6pm
- VIP Readers group (for the visually impaired): First Monday of the month, 11am to 12 noon.
- Feel Better with a Book
Tuesdays: 2pm to 3.30pm
- Open for Advice: Drop in sessions with an Open University tutor. Monthly on Thursdays or Saturdays, 11am to 1.30pm. Contact the library for dates.
- Free film shows - Monthly. Check our what's on for details.
- Councillor Surgery with Chaz Singh (Drake Ward): First Saturday of the month. Drop in between 10am and 12 noon.
- The Internet for beginners: Every Friday, 2.30pm to 4pm. Phone 01752 305902 to book.
- Work club - help for jobseekers. Every Tuesday, drop in between 11am to 1pm
- Gadget drop in - Tips and advice on how to make the most of iPads, tablets, smartphones, e-readers and more. Every Tuesday, from 2pm to 3.30pm.
All other events and activities are listed on our What's on page.