Street Cleansing and Grounds
Plymouth City Council
Plymouth PL1 2AA
- Blooming Brilliant Plymouth Show 2014
- Blue Sound
- Central Park Allotment Association
- Devon Community Composting Network
- Horticultural Therapy Trust
- The Big Dig
- The Conservation Foundation Tools Shed
- The National Allotment Society
- The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB)
- We are not responsible for the content of linked websites. Visit our disclaimer page for more information.
Problems or issues
- If you notice any problems with the park or facilities you can either report it to us by email to streetsceneservices
@plymouth.gov.uk or by phoning 01752 606034.
Central Park is the largest park in Plymouth. It was originally created in 1928 as a park devoted to the improvement of the health of city residents. Wide boulevards go through the park's open meadows and woodlands, up and down hills with fantastic views over the city towards Plymouth Sound and Cornwall.
We are committed to improving Central Park and since 2008 we have consulted with local people, created a masterplan and delivered some of the suggested improvements. View the masterplan for Central Park.
The Life Centre opened in June 2012, a leading centre of sporting excellence with a range of sport activities for everyone. In 2011 a new skate park was put in and the play area at Pounds House refurbished.
What to see and do
Seven Continents Playground
Action and adventure in this exciting playground for all ages and abilities. Anyone who knows Plymouth will recognise famous events and landmarks that have been incorporated into the play environment and from there we set out to discover the seven continents. See below for more information on the play features.
See our events page for information about what's on in our parks and green spaces.
- Skate Park refurbished 2011
- Bowling green
- Orienteering course
- Cycle route through park
- Baseball and lacrosse clubs
- Pitch and putt course - nine hole (admission payable)
- Seven Continents Adventure Playground, south of the Life Centre, something for all ages, includes water jets and arches, dino swing, climbing frames, large pyramid net, drums, sound wheel and wheelchair roundabout. (Open all year around and inspected weekly)
- Playground refurbished in 2011 next to Pounds House, includes swings, see-saws, talk tubes, multi-play unit for toddlers, spinning bowl and picnic benches and funky bin!
* Please note that the playground water jets are temporarily out of order. We are currently working with contractors to resolve this problem and will update this web page when the water jets are operational. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.
- Panoramic views over the city centre and Plymouth Sound
- Wild flower meadows
- Open fields
Walks and nature
- Several wildflower meadows
- Historic hedgerows
- Bat and bird boxes on trees
- Allotments on Peverell Park Road. Central Park Association trading hut - open at various times for meeting and a cuppa, bring donations of surplus crops for Devon and Cornwall Food Association
- Ample seating throughout the park
- Café at the life centre
- Kiosk with refreshments at the golf course
- Public toilets at the clock tower
- There are ambitious plans to improve the park, further information is available within the Central Park Masterplan
There is a good network of wide, tarmac paths throughout the park.
Play equipment includes items that have special access possibilities with good grips and supports for less able children. Role-play and ground level play opportunity has been provided throughout the site for all age groups and care has been taken to choose items that do not separate or stigmatise children with disabilities.
Central Park is open 24 hours a day.
Travel and directions
- Around one mile from the city centre, up a steep hill
- City Bus route number 29, 43 and 16 go from the city centre, get off at Alma Road by the Life Centre
- Free Park and Ride on Outland Road
- Some parking available on adjacent streets
- One mile from Plymouth Railway Station
- Traveline number: 08712 002 233
View Central Park in a larger map