Stay in the loop
Plymouth - Britain's Ocean City Plymouth Newsroom, latest news and information Zinio magazines


Mail :
Contact Centre
Plymouth City Council
Plymouth PL1 2AA
Phone :
01752 668000
Email :


Carers Direct

A carer and an elderly woman

Putting carers first in Plymouth

Who is a carer?

A carer is someone who looks after a family member, friend or neighbour who cannot manage alone because of their age, frailty, disability or illness. Carers can be any age and do not need to live with the person they care for.

Carer asssessments

The Council has a duty to carry out a carer assessment for anyone who requests one. However there may be services for carers already available for carers to access for advice, information and support.

If you are a carer who provides regular and substantial care to another person (aged 18 or over) then an adult social care needs assessment can be arranged for the person you care for and at the same time your caring responsibilities will be considered as part of the assessment. We will look at the support you need to help you carry on caring and see if there is anything we can do to support you in your caring role.

You can have a carers assessment at the same time as the needs of the person you care for are assessed or you can ask for a separate assessment to be arranged.

If you are having problems continuing to care, we can work with you to make sure you have all the information and support that you need.

[Back to top]