Stay in the loop
Plymouth - Britain's Ocean City Plymouth Newsroom, latest news and information Love Our Past RIBA photographic competition


Mail :
Revenues and Benefits
Plymouth City Council
Plymouth PL1 2AA
Phone :
01752 668000
Email :
Fax :
01752 304278



  • Monday to Friday
    8.30am to 5pm


Person filling in a form

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Top tasks

Anyone can use our Self Service website. Some sections may require you to register, and you will need a PIN number from us, but once you have done this it's free and available 24 hours a day.If you need advice on how to register please view our main Self Service page.

Benefit claimant

View benefit payments made to you, see how your benefit has been calculated and view documents we have sent to you.


View housing benefit payments that are made directly to you. See previous and next payments due and view documents we have sent to you.

Benefit claim form

Apply for Housing Benefit, Council Tax Support or Second Adult Rebate (if of pension age)

Benefit calculator

Get an estimate of what benefits and tax credits you could get, and find out about claiming specific benefits using our online calculator.

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit is a state benefit which helps people who are on a low income and living in rented accommodation to pay their rent.

Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support is a local scheme to help you pay your council tax. More information about Council Tax Support and how it may affect you can be found on our Welfare Reform page.

Second Adult Rebate

From 1 April 2013 Second Adult Rebate was abolished for working age customers. If you are of pension age you can claim Second Adult Rebate if your income, savings or investments are too high for you to qualify for council tax support. You may claim second adult rebate if you have at least one non-dependant adult, who is on a low income, living with you on a non-commercial basis. Under normal circumstances a partner or lodger will not entitle you to claim second adult rebate.

Although we administer Housing Benefit we have to work to regulations controlled by Central Government. Council Tax Support is administered by us under a local scheme.

Instant access advice

For information on where you can find advice and guidance in crisis situations please read our referrals chart below.