Mount Edgcumbe House and Country Park
Cornwall PL10 1HZ
BE SOCIAL, FOLLOW US
Mount Edgcumbe country park was the earliest landscaped park in Cornwall. Today it is made up of Grade I listed gardens and 55 Grade II and II* listed structures.
Some of the features of the park are:
A sheltered deep water anchorage used by Vikings in 997. Offshore is the shipwreck Catharina von Flensburg, 1786.
c.1200 BC - a Bronze Age burial mound, re-used as a 'Prospect Mound' in the 18th century. A prospect mound is an artificial mound, generally conical, placed within a garden or park to provide a viewing point to overlook the garden or park.
c.1545 - a small fort built on the shoreline in King Henry VIII's reign, to defend the mouth of the Tamar and the Edgcumbe's town of Stonehouse opposite.
Coastguard Station at Rame
Originally a Lloyds Signal Station, where signaling was done from passing ships to the station by flags during the day and by lights at night, it became a radio station in 1905, then transferred to the Coastguards c.1925. It is now run by Coastwatch.
c.1204 - a major ferry crossing between Devon and Cornwall since Medieval times.
c.1695 - a stone wall with outer ditch to protect the Amphitheatre from deer, now incomplete.
In early days called the Terrace. A driveway from the House round the coast to Maker Church by 1788, extended to Penlee Point by 1823.
1747 - an artificial ruin which replaced a navigation obelisk. Built from Medieval stone from the churches of St. George and St. Lawrence, Stonehouse.
c.1750 to 1820 - gardens in Italian, English and French styles. New Zealand, American (1989) and Jubilee Gardens (2003) have been added.
c.1747 and 1863 - an 18th century saluting platform, originally mounted with 21 guns to greet visitors. Completely re-built 1863 as part of Plymouth's defences.
Harbour View Seat
18th century - a much damaged ornamental seat also known as White Seat, with a magnificent view north up the River Tamar.
Higher Deer House
19th century - in the Grotton Plantation the ruins of a two storey fodder store for deer; and the ruined 18th century Pebble Seat facing south.
c.1800 - under the bridge leading to the House (only open on special occasions).
First mentioned in 1186, enlarged in the 15th century. The family church of the Edgcumbes.
1755 - a circular Ionic temple, with a plaque inscribed with lines from the poem Paradise Lost, 'overhead up grew, Insuperable heights of loftiest shade.....' John Milton, (1608 - 1674).
Situated in the Italian Garden the Orangery is thought to have been built as early as 1760. The building is now a fully licensed restaurant.
1892 - the remains of a Victorian fort armed with 3 guns in both World Wars. A granite sculpture by Greg Powlesland, 1995, is in this nature reserve.
A seat made from a Medieval doorway and enclosing a small niche with a piscina at the back. The carved stone comes from the churches of St. George and St. Lawrence at Stonehouse.
Queen Adelaide's Grotto
18th century cave used as a watch house, enhanced with an arched stone building after Adelaide's visit, 1827.
Rebuilt from a Norman church in 1239, and enlarged in the 15th century.
19th century - a ruinous rest house, sometimes called the Kiosk, which was painted red. Below is another ruined seat known as Indian Cottage or The Verandah.
c.1850 - The stables, dairy, smithy, sawmill and stores, all essential to the running of the estate. (not open to the public).
St. Julian's Well
Tiny 15th century chapel and holy well, restored c.1890.
St. Michael's Chapel
14th century - A chapel and simple lighthouse, with a beacon site nearby. Across the neck of the headland are the earthworks of an Iron Age fort.
West Lodge and Arch
The Arch may have been built to mark the creation of the Viscount in 1781.
South West Coastal Footpath
This goes through Mount Edgcumbe.
c1760 - a Doric pavilion with seats looking across to Plymouth Sound. Verses from Thompson's 'The Seasons' are inscribed on the wall.
c.1760 - the Zig-Zag walks were famous in the 18th and 19th century as 'The Horrors'. Intricate paths on a dramatic cliff, surrounded by exotic shrubs. The lower cliff paths and some stone seats have been lost in cliff falls.
Deer on Peninsula
In 1515 Sir Piers Edgcumbe was given permission by King Henry VIII to empark deer. Their descendents roam freely on the Peninsula to this day.