Stay in the loop
Plymouth - Britain's Ocean City Plymouth Newsroom, latest news and information Love Our Past eBooks


Mail :
Food Safety Team
Plymouth City Council
Plymouth PL1 2AA
Phone :
01752 304147
Email :
Fax :
01752 226314


Bread rolls

Mobile catering

Mobile caterers include any food business that uses a vehicle for preparation and for serving food. These also include temporary premises such as stalls or trailers.

Mobile food vendors can include fish and chip vans, ice cream vans, mobile fishmongers and butchers and market stalls at street events.

This type of food business must be registered with Plymouth City Council if the vehicle is kept in Plymouth or the business is based in Plymouth. This is so that a current list of traders is maintained and checks can be carried out for health and safety and food hygiene purposes. To register a food business you can download a form from our food business registration and approval page.

People running mobile or temporary food businesses need to be aware of the same food hygiene issues as other businesses but as space is limited the requirements are more flexible. There are also consent areas in the city which you can apply for on the street trading licence page.

Further information on food hygiene and health and safety specific to mobile caterers can be found in documents below.

Catering vehicles on the highway

If you wish to place a catering vehicle on the public highway you must be mindful of the following points:

  • If you wish to place a structure, (a catering vehicle without an engine) on the highway, you must first apply for approval from Plymouth Transport and Highways using the Section 171 highway permit application form. Full detailed plans must be submitted with your application. Please find the appropriate Section 171 application form on the highways permits page.
  • Any unauthorised structure on the highway will be removed by Plymouth Transport and Highways using enforcement measures within the Highways Act 1980.
  • Catering vehicles with engines shall be parked on the carriageway legally, mindful of parking requirements in the Highway Code. If a catering vehicle causes a safety hazard or obstruction to other road users then you will be required to move it to a more appropriate location.
  • The installation of private power supplies in the highway will not be permitted.