Stay In The Loop - Sign Up For Email Alerts
Download the My Plymouth mobile app

CONTACT

Mail :
Plymouth and West Devon Record Office
Unit 3
Clare Place
Plymouth PL4 0JW

Plymouth City Council
Plymouth PL1 2AA
Phone :
01752 305940
Email :
pwdro@plymouth.gov.uk

LOCATION

LINKS

Volunteer cataloguing images headstones from Milehouse Burial Ground

The "Of the Parish" headstone and memorial indexing and photography project

A project to put details of the people who died in Plymouth and the surrounding area online. The photographs have been taken or scanned by our volunteers. The digital images produced, along with the names of those listed on them can be searched and viewed in our Online Catalogue using the links below. The images are a valuable source of information for family and local historians and are available to purchase. Please email us at pwdro@plymouth.gov.uk for details. Please note that many of the databases are not yet fully complete.

Churchyards and burial grounds in our online catalogue


Stoke Damerel Church, Milehouse overflow burial ground, Milehouse Road, Plymouth
(Database is complete)

Opened in 1871 and closed in 1961. A short history of the burial ground can be found on the Plymouthdata website. As part of the process of grave removal, the Central Electricity Generating Board photographed the remaining headstones in 1967.

Here are some example images of the headstones in Milehouse burial ground. Copyright Plymouth City Council 2009.

Gravestone Gravestone Gravestone


Stoke Damerel Church, Paradise Road, Devonport
(Database is complete)

The earliest recorded burials in Stoke Damerel churchyard took place in 1595/1596 and were finally stopped in 1871. As part of the process of grave removal undertaken by the city in the 1950s, some of the remaining headstones were placed flat onto the ground to form footpaths around the churchyard. In 2009 a process began to move some of the headstones into new positions on a flatter area of the churchyard. The photographs were taken between 2009 and 2010.

Here are some example images of the headstones in Stoke Damerel churchyard. Copyright Plymouth City Council 2009.

Gravestone Gravestone Gravestone


Royal Naval Hospital burial ground, No Place Field, Eldad Hill/North Road West, Plymouth
(Database is complete)

A burial ground since 1824. It received burials of sailors from the adjacent Royal Naval Hospital until 1897. The remaining headstones are placed in a square in Wantage Gardens, with a few still in the trees adjacent to Victoria Park. The photographs were taken between 2009 and 2010.


St Edward, Eggbuckland Parish Church, Church Hill, Eggbuckland, Plymouth
(Database is complete)

The first recorded burial took place in 1653. The graveyard at Eggbuckland is still in use today.


St Budeaux Parish Church, The Green, Crownhill Road, St Budeaux, Plymouth
(Database is almost complete)

The first recorded burial took place in 1538. The graveyard at St Budeaux is now closed for new burials.


St Pancras Parish Church, Honicknowle Lane, Pennycross, Plymouth
(Entries and images are still being added to this database)

The first recorded burial took place in 1634. The graveyard at St Pancras is now closed for new burials.


Oreston Wesleyan Methodist Church, Plymstock Road, Oreston, Plymstock, Plymouth
(Database is complete)

The congregation at Oreston can be traced back to around 1789. A history of the congregation can be found on the Plymouthdata website. The first burials took place in about 1845.


Longcause non conformist burial ground, Plympton St Maurice, Plymouth
(Database is complete)

A very small non conformist burial ground which is now owned by Plympton Civic Society.


St Peter the Poor Fisherman, Stoke Beach, Revelstoke Parish, near Noss Mayo, Devon
(Database is complete)

St Peter is the original parish church for Revelstoke parish and dates from the 13th century. The church is now disused and was replaced by a new church in Noss Mayo in Victorian times.


Pleasure Hill (Howard Road) non conformist burial ground, Oreston, Plymstock, Plymouth
(Database is complete)

A very small non conformist burial ground which is owned by Hooe Baptist Church.


St Michael de Rupe, (St Michael of the Rock), Brentor
(Entries and images are still being added to this database)

A very small burial gound around the church of St Michael De Rupe on top of Brent Tor above Brentor village north of Tavistock. The earliest surviving burial register for this parish starts in 1720 but the Bishop's Transcripts go back to 1606. This index does not include the larger churchyard around Christchurch within the village of Brentor at present.


Churchyards and burial grounds currently being photographed

  • Weston Mill Cemetery, Plymouth (Naval burials only).
  • Minor sites and memorials including those in the Barbican Plymouth and on Plymouth Hoe.

Images from these burial grounds will be made available as soon as possible. If you are interested in helping with the project, please see our volunteers page.

Flickr slideshow