Schools Library Service
Plymouth PL5 3EJ
Plymouth City Council
Plymouth PL1 2AA
Shout about Schools Library Services
The School Library Association (SLA) works in partnership with many schools library services (SLS) across the country and has been concerned for some time about the ongoing erosion of SLS services, so much so that many areas of the country no longer have SLS available locally. The SLA has produced an interactive map of the country giving a clear picture of the distribution of SLS across the country – and highlights those areas without any service available to them. The concern is that an estimated 600,000 children around the country no longer have access to the work of a schools library service.
Tricia Adams, Director of the School Library Association said: "School librarians and Schools Library Services expertise are essential in helping children navigate the digital world and improve information literacy skills. All children and young people should have access to the benefits they bring. Currently this is not the case.”
About Schools Library Services
Schools Library Services are run by experienced qualified librarians who have knowledge of the curriculum and of children’s literature. A Schools Library Service will:
- Advise schools and provide training on managing and developing their own school libraries and teaching resources in schools, on teaching information and digital fluency to enable children to become independent learners and on helping schools create a reading culture.
- Lend or make available for purchase carefully chosen resources to support teaching and learning in the classroom and to support wider reading for pleasure and enjoyment.
What can you do to support the campaign?
- Tweet your support and promote the value of school libraries and schools library services by using the hashtag #SHOUTABOUT
- Find out if your children have access to a well resourced school library and/or Schools Library Service.
- Speak and/or write to your local authority, head teacher or school governor about ensuring children have access to proper library resources.
Shout about the positives – we are also keen to hear any positive case studies and examples of school librarians and Schools Library Services making the difference in children’s lives. Share your stories by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.