Plymouth and West Devon Record Office
Plymouth PL4 0JW
Plymouth City Council
Plymouth PL1 2AA
- Plymouth and West Devon Record Office
Plymouth PL4 0JW
Plymouth and West Devon Record Office Google Map
Education records for schools in the City of Plymouth and parts of West Devon and South Hams boroughs are held in Plymouth and West Devon Record Office.
The record office has a wide variety of documents relating to many different subjects of historic interest.
One of the most popular of these is schools in the Plymouth and South West Devon area. It is worth noting that although there have been schools in Plymouth since the 16th century, most of the surviving records are for the late 19th century onwards. The one main exception to this is the Grey Coat School which has minute books from 1735 (with names of children admitted) and school accounts from 1714. The pupil admission registers/relief books date from 1813.
Below are some examples of types of records that can be used to research various aspects of this subject, and the catalogues (or lists) to most of these can be accessed on the Access to Archives website or our Online Catalogue.
- Ordnance Survey maps (c1857 to 1960’s)
- Plymouth City Council building control plans, 1851 to c1960’s
- School Board reports (1871 to 1901)
- Education Committee minutes (1903 onwards)
- Trade/street directories, school log books, photographs, school prospectuses, HM Inspector’s reports, City Treasurer’s School Board/Education fund ledgers
- School admission registers, log books, pupil/leaver’s files (mid to late 20th century)
- School photographs, school magazines etc
- School log books
- School Board reports/Education Committee minutes
- Teacher’s registers/files, trade/street directories (particularly for private teachers)
- School photographs, evacuation allowances (World War II)
- School log books, school Governor's minutes (late 20th century only)
- School Board reports/Education Committee, HM Inspectors reports
There are also many files relating to schools and education in the Education Department collections from the local authority. There is also material to be found within collections held at the Devon Record Office in Exeter (when Education in Plymouth was under Devon County Council control) and those created centrally by the Board of Education held at the National Archives in Kew, London.
Availability of records
As a general rule, education records have access restrictions from the date of their creation. Access to the records within this time period is restricted to being able to see your own records.
Anyone wishing to see their own records or who needs confirmation of their exam results should contact us for further information.
School records index
Search our school records index. The index lists all surviving log books, and admission registers. (Leavers files, pupil files and punishment books are also held but are not yet part of this index). The index is arranged alphabetically by school name. To see a full listing of what we hold please use our Online Catalogue and carry out a search using the name of the school as your search term.