Stay in the loop
Plymouth Newsroom, latest news and information eBooks


Mail :
Development Management Unit
Dept. of Development
Plymouth City Council
Plymouth PL1 2AA
Phone :
01752 304366
Email :
Photo of someone holding a pen writing

Making a planning application

You will need to obtain planning permission for most building works or changes of use of land or buildings.

However not all building works or changes of use require the submission of a planning application to the Council. There is a wide range of development that is granted planning permission by regulations made by central government.  This is called permitted development.

An important question you need to ask is: Do I need planning permission?  
These pages give advice and information to help you to determine whether or not you will require planning permission.

You may also want to think about whether building regulations are required for your development.

You can contact a member of the planning team for further advice, but if you want to obtain a formal ruling you can apply for a certificate of lawful development.

Information about making an application for tree works can be found on the trees and hedges page.

Plymouth City Council are part of the Plymouth Design Review Panel, who provide expert advice to local authorities on design issues.