Chelson Meadow Recycling Centre
Dept. of Development
Plymouth City Council
Plymouth PL1 2AA
- Chelson Meadow
The Ride, Plymstock, Plymouth PL9 7JA
Chelson Meadow Google map
- Chartered Institute of Waste Management
- Community Recycling Network
- Association for Organics Recycling
- Department for Environmental Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA)
- We are not responsible for the content of linked websites. Visit our disclaimer page for more information.
Van and trailer permits
The van permit system has been extended to include trailers and the number of tips per year for large vans has been reduced. Changes in opening hours and limits to the amount of soil and rubble per household have also been introduced.
- Vans are not allowed at Weston Mill Household Waste Recycling Centre
- Vans towing trailers are not allowed into Chelson Meadow Household Waste Recycling Centre
Why have these changes been introduced?
The household waste recycling centres are for Plymouth residents to dispose of their household waste free of charge. Unfortunately, we know that unscrupulous traders are using the centres to avoid paying trade waste charges which is illegal and unfair to other businesses. We are also aware that people that live outside the city are using our centres. The changes have been introduced to deter misuse of the sites and to prevent Plymouth Council Tax payers picking up costs that should be paid by traders and neighbouring local authorities.
For further information please read the document below.
Who can apply for a van/trailer permit?
Plymouth residents can apply for a permit to dispose of their own personal waste with either:
- a car towing a trailer below 1.8 and up to 3 metres long, or
- private individuals who own private vans under 3.5 tonnes, fully laden.
Applying for a permit
Permits are free of charge and only issued at Chelson Meadow Recycling Centre. Applicants will need to apply in person with a completed application and proof of residency and vehicle ownership during office opening hours.
Office opening hours
- Monday to Thursday 8am to 4pm
- Friday 8am to 3.30pm
The office is closed for lunch from 12 noon to 1pm.
Application forms are available from the Green House, Chelson Meadow Recycling Centre during office opening hours or you can download a form below.
- Proof of residency in Plymouth (evidence of address) - for example recent utility bill, driving licence, Council Tax statement
- Proof of vehicle ownership (V5 registration document). If the vehicle is registered to a company please provide a letter on official headed paper giving permission for the vehicle to visit Chelson Meadow, also stating that the permit will be used for the disposal of your own personal household waste and acknowledged that under no circumstances will business/trade waste be disposed of using the permit
A permit is valid for 12 months and is issued according to the size of a van and the length of a trailer. Please refer to the tip allocations below.
|Transport type||Maximum number of tips per year||Maximum number of tips per year to deposit soil/rubble|
|Small Van (Ford Fiesta, Vauxhall Corsa)||12||3 of the allocated 12 tips|
|Large Van (Ford Transit, Vauxhall Movano)||6||1 of the allocated 6 tips|
|Small Trailer (under 1.8 metres long)||12||3 of the allocated 12 tips|
|Large Trailer (1.8 metres long and over - up to a maximum 3 metres long)||6||1 of the allocated 6 tips|
We will not issue permits to the following:
- Hire vans
- Vans and vehicles over 3.5 tonnes, fully laden
- Trailers over 3 metres in length
- Anyone that lives outside of the Plymouth area
- Permits are not transferable to other vehicles/households – please let us know if you change your vehicle or your address, there is no charge for updating your permit
- We reserve the right to withdraw a permit at any time
- The permit will be issued free of charge, but if you lose it, we will charge £10 for a replacement
If you require any further information please contact us on 01752 304080 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.