Stray and lost dogs
Any dog that's out on its own is classed as a stray dog. It is a legal requirement for all dogs to have a collar and tag, with the owners details and be microchipped.
What should I do if I have found a dog?
- Check the collar and tag and call the telephone number of the owner.
- Use the following social media channels to try to find the owner. These groups may also help out with scanning a dog to look for microchip details.
- Plymouth (UK) pets lost and found Contact Dawn Lapthorn on 07594 124127
- Plymouth UK dogs only lost and found
- If you have exhausted all avenues, then contact the Council.
If we collect a stray dog it will be kenneled for up to seven days and if unclaimed, we'll arrange for the dog to be re-homed by an animal welfare charity unless it is claimed by the owner.
We don't provide a 24 hour a day service or provide a place to take stray dogs. If you find a dog outside our office hours keep the dog until the next working day, then call us on 01752 304147.
- Monday to Thursday: 9am to 5pm
- Friday: 9am to 4.30pm
I've lost my dog
Try social media in the first instance to see if anyone has found your dog. If you have not located it, you may report it below to see if we are holding your dog.
You should keep your dog under your control at all times. Make sure your garden is secure so your dog can't get out and keep your dog on a lead when you're out in public places.
How much will it cost to get my dog back?
You have to pay the following release fee before you can get your dog back. This fee is based on the legal penalty for stray dogs and the costs the Council incurs. Please call 01752 304147 to arrange to pay for your dog. You can pay by debit or credit card over the phone. You must pay by 5pm Mondays to Thursdays and by 4.30pm on Fridays to get your dog back on that day otherwise the charge will increase.
I can't care for my dog
If you're unable to care for your dog you must not abandon it or you could be prosecuted. You should look for a way to re-home it. Try local Cats and Dogs Homes or animal sanctuaries.