Emergency and Welfare Fund

If you're on a low income and don't have access to other funding you can apply to the Emergency and Welfare Fund for support.

Crisis payments

A crisis payment may be considered if:

  • there's been a change in your Department of Work and Pension benefit entitlement, for example a suspension or a change of circumstances
  • you're waiting for a new benefit claim from the Department of Works and Pension to be assessed
  • you've just started a new job and won't be paid for a period of time (evidence of employment will be required)
  • a crisis has affected your ability to manage day to day essential living expenses

You aren't eligible for a crisis payment if:

  • you've already had two crisis payments within the last 12 months
  • you don't have a fixed address within the Plymouth area
  • you've access to financial help from other sources, for example friends, family or charities
  • you're unable to provide evidence if requested to support your crisis application
  • responsibility exists elsewhere which addresses the issue (insurance, landlord)
  • needs could be met though eligibility to budgeting loans, short term advances (formally benefit alignment payments), cold weather payments, winter fuel payments or requirements under Fair Access to Care Service (FACS)

Apply for a crisis payment

If you're in receipt of Department of Working Pension benefits you may be able to apply for the following:

The following organisations provide financial advice and assistance: