Pay back a housing benefit overpayment

If you think you're receiving too much money you need to tell us as you may have to pay it back.

We can recover overpayments by:

  • deducting from ongoing benefit entitlement
  • deducting from other social security benefits
  • receiving a payment from you

Pay back an overpayment

You can pay back an overpayment by visiting our 1st Stop shop, contacting us on 01752 668000 or using the online form.

Pay back an overpayment

If you're having difficulty with the repayments please contact us. If you don't attempt to pay the money back we may refer the debt to a collection agent or apply for a county court judgement which would lead to further costs being added to your account and your credit rating being affected.

How to appeal

If you disagree with a payment decision write to us at Revenues and Benefits, Plymouth City Council, PO Box 293, Plymouth PL5 9BZ, within one month of the date the letter was sent advising you of the debt and we'll see if an error has been made.