Report benefit fraud

If you know someone who is claiming a benefit they aren't entitled to please report it using our online form or contact the National Benefit Fraud Hotline on 0800 854440. Your call is free and confidential - you don't have to give your name or address. Lines are open between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday.

Report benefit fraud

You can also report benefit fraud online on GOV.UK or by post to NBFH, PO Box 224, Preston PR1 1GP.

If you've speech or hearing problems you can use the text phone service on 0800 328 0512.

Some common types of benefit fraud:

  • A landlord who is receiving benefit payments for a tenant who don't live in their property
  • A claimant living with an undeclared partner
  • A claimant or their partner claiming job seekers allowance/income support but are working
  • A claimant has undeclared income such as pensions, savings or rent from a lodger
  • A claimant who owns a property but states that they're paying rent for the property, inventing a fictitious landlord and using false rent books and tenancy agreements
  • A person who claims benefit in more than one name or at more than one address
  • A person who claims benefit from an address where they don't live
  • A tenancy which is created between friends or family where the property wouldn't normally be rented, in order to obtain benefit to which they're not entitled