Register a birth
You can now book a birth registration appointment. If your baby was born before 1st May 2020 please make an appointment. The website will be updated when we are ready to start making appointments for babies born after this date.
Please use the link below to make your booking and pay for a birth certificate.
Due to social distancing limitations, we will not be accepting payments in the office.
When you make your appointment you will receive a confirmation email, this will include a link to enable you to “book in” at your appointment. Please arrive at the Register Office 15 minutes before your appointment and click the “check-in” link. The Registrar will automatically be notified that you have arrived. Please socially distance outside the building and wait for further instruction by the Registrar.
When registering the birth you will asked for the following information
- Date & place of birth of baby (if multiple birth - the time babies were born).
- Sex of baby.
- Name and surname of baby.
- Mother's & Father's current name, including formerly known as names, maiden name, address, date of birth, place of birth, occupation of mother/father and date of marriage of parents (if applicable).
To keep personal contact to a minimum, if you are a married couple, we request only one parent attends the appointment. We also ask that children do not attend, unless childcare cannot be arranged. You are not required to bring your baby. Baby changing and toilet facilities are currently unavailable.
Do not come to your appointment if:
- you've had coronavirus symptoms in the past 7 days
- a member of your household has had coronavirus symptoms in the past 14 days
- you've been in contact with someone who's had coronavirus symptoms in the past 14 days
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need to re-arrange your appointment
How to Register
You must register a birth within 42 days of the birth at the register office in the district where the birth takes place. In Plymouth you can register a birth at the Plymouth Register Office.
What you need to bring
You don't need to produce any documents when you register a birth but you'll need to provide the following information:
- Baby's date and place of birth
- Baby's forename(s) and surname
- Mother's full name, plus any other names she has been known by (for example a maiden name)
- Father's details (if they're to be included) his date and place of birth and his current or last occupation
- Month and year of the marriage if the birth parents were married to each other at the time of baby's birth
Who can register a birth
If the mother and father were married to each other at the time of the child's birth either parent may register.
If the mother and father were not married to each other at the time of the child's birth both parents have to be present at the registration in order to have both of their names recorded in the register. If the mother attends on her own only her details and the child's details will be recorded.
- Registering a birth - Free
- Short birth certificate - £11
- Full birth certificates at time of registration - £11
- Additional birth certificate at time of registration - £11