Register a stillbirth

How to register

You must register a stillbirth within 42 days of the birth at the register office of the district where the birth takes place. In Plymouth you can register a stillbirth at the Plymouth Register Office. To make an appointment call 01752 268331 or email

What you need to bring

You'll need to bring:

  • The medical certificate of the cause of death issued by a doctor/midwife

You'll need to provide the following information:

  • Date and place of the stillbirth
  • Baby's forename(s) and surname
  • The mother's full name, plus any other names she has been known by (for example a maiden name), her date and place of birth and her current or last occupation
  • Father's details (if they're to be included) his date and place of birth and his current or last occupation
  • Month and year of the marriage if the birth parents were married to each other at the time of the stillbirth

Who can register a stillbirth

  • The mother or father (if married at the time of the stillbirth)
  • The mother and father together if they weren't married at the time of the stillbirth
  • The occupier of the house or the senior administrator of the hospital where the stillbirth occurred
  • A person who was present at the stillbirth
  • The person in charge of the stillborn child
  • The person who found the stillborn child

Documents you'll receive

  • A white form for the funeral director
  • A short certificate acknowledging that the stillbirth has been registered
  • A full stillbirth certificate (for a fee)


  • Registering a stillbirth - Free
  • Short stillbirth certificate - Free
  • Additional short stillbirth certificate at time of registration - £11
  • Full stillbirth certificate at time of registration - £11

Due to the sensitive nature of stillbirths, the procedure for ordering additional certificates is different from other types of certificates. You'll have to apply for certificates from the General Register Office. Certificates will only be issued to the mother or father of a stillborn child. Siblings may apply if their mother and father are no longer alive, they should send details of their parents' dates of death with their application.

Plymouth Registration Service no longer accepts cash or cheque payments and can only take payments by card.