The schools forum is made up from representatives from schools and academies. There's also some representation from non-school organisations, such as nursery and 16 to 19 education providers.
The forum acts in a consultative role on some issues and a decision making role on others.
- Changes to the local funding formula (we make the final decision)
- Proposed changes to the operation of the minimum funding guarantee
- Changes to or new contracts affecting schools (for example school meals)
- Arrangements for pupils with special educational needs, in pupil referral units and in early years provision
Decision making role:
- How much funding may be retained by us within the dedicated schools grant (for example providing an admissions service or providing additional funding for growing schools)
- Any proposed carry forward of deficits on central spend from one year to the next
- Proposals to de-delegate funding from maintained primary and secondary schools (for example staff supply cover, insurance, behaviour support)
- Changes to the scheme of financial management
Schools forum power and responsibilities [PDF, 103KB]
Membership of the schools forum must be proportional to the pupil population in maintained schools and academies.
Schools Forum Membership [PDF, 90KB]
The forum holds a minimum of four meetings a year, however if there's a business need for a decision or formal view to be expressed by the forum, additional meetings can be arranged. Meetings are open to members of the public.