Christmas and New Year information
Most Plymouth City Council offices will be closed from Christmas day and will reopen on Tuesday 3 January.
Call 01752 668000 in an emergency.
The 1st Stop shop will be closed from Christmas Day and will reopen on Tuesday 3 January at 8.30am.
Check the opening times of your local library this Christmas.
Plymouth and West Devon Record Office will be closed from Christmas Eve and will reopen on Tuesday 3 January at 9.30am.
Plymouth Register Office opening times:
- Christmas and Boxing Day: Closed
- Tuesday 27 December: Closed
- Wednesday 28 to New Year's Eve: 9am to 5pm
- New Year's Day and Monday 2 January: Closed
- Tuesday 3 January: 8.30am to 6pm
Rubbish and recycling
We'll pick up your rubbish and recycling:
- two days later than normal the week commencing Monday 26 December
- one day later than normal the week commencing Monday 2 January
This could change in very bad weather. Check your bin day to find out when your bins will be emptied.
We will not be picking up Christmas trees from outside your homes, but will bring wood chipping machines to locations across the city from Monday 9 January until Thursday 19 January.
School term dates
Check term dates and holidays to find out when the kids go back to school.
Local bus companies run special timetables over Christmas and the New Year and don't usually run on Christmas Day, Boxing Day or New Year's Day. Plan your bus journey to check when your local buses are running.
- Plymouth Citybus and Go Cornwall Bus Christmas and New Year service
- Jackett's Coaches Christmas and New Year service
Tamar Bridge and Torpoint Ferry
The bridge and ferry don't charge a toll from midnight on 24 December to midnight on 25 December.
The Torpoint Ferry timetable changes over Christmas and the New Year but the ferry runs every day including Christmas Day.
Leisure centres and swimming pools
Find out the Christmas opening times opening times for: