Money, benefits and payments

Updated 15 May 2020

Council Tax

If you are working age and on Council Tax Support you will get £150 discount off your Council Tax bill for 2020/21. Revised bills have not been issued yet, but we are expecting to be able to issue the amended bills, with the £150 discount applied in July 2020.

The Council has been working flat out to ensure those most economically vulnerable will get as much as help as possible during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis.

The Government set aside £500 million for a hardship fund to help support those already on a low income as well as those whose earnings have dropped as a result of emergency measures now in place. 

The same discount will be applied to any new Council Tax Support customer over the coming months whilst funds are still available.  So if you are struggling financially - for whatever reason - you can apply for Council Tax Support on our website.

An update on the £150 discount for Council Tax Support claimants: 

We previously announced that if you were in receipt of Council Tax Support you would receive an extra £150 off your council tax bill as part of the Government’s hardship fund. This is still the case and you do not need to take any additional action. 

We have not yet issued revised bills, In order to apply the discount our software provider has to update our council tax system. Unfortunately this is taking longer than expected and we are currently anticipating to have the updated software by the end of June. As such, we expect to be able to issue the revised bills, with the £150 discount applied in July.

Disabled Facilities Grant

Due to Coronavirus (COVID-19) measures, we are unable to safely progress all adaptations.

Adaptations which are currently underway and have contractors on site will not be affected.

Adaptations that have not yet started will be reviewed on a case by case basis.

Payment deferral for self-employed

If you are self-employed you can request your council tax bill payments be deferred until July. Your total amount due for the year will not change but we will instead change your installment due dates by reproflling your bill. To request your payments be deferred please complete the online form. 

Payment deferral request

If you are not self-employed but are struggling to pay please visit our Council Tax Support page to see if you're eligible for assistance. 

For anything else please use our general enquiry form to contact us.

Further information and advice

Visit the Plymouth Online Directory for links and information related to COVID-19 Money, benefits and payments