Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support is a local means tested scheme for people on low incomes to help them pay their council tax. Any owner-occupier or tenant aged 18 or over who is legally responsible for the council tax can claim Council Tax Support.

How much you can claim

Use the benefit calculator to find out what you can claim.

Calculate your Council Tax Support

How to apply

You can apply for Council Tax Support whether you're unemployed or working. It could help to reduce the amount of council tax that you need to pay.

Apply for Council Tax Support

It takes on average 19 days to process a new Council Tax Support claim. Claims can be processed quicker if the required evidence is supplied as soon as possible.

You must keep paying your council tax as billed, even if you have applied for Council Tax Support. 

Provide evidence

If you have submitted a claim or have an existing claim you can use the below button to supply evidence. 

Provide Evidence

Scheme details

Use the below link links to find the full scheme document for the current and previous years

Download Council Tax Support Scheme 2019 to 2020 [PDF, 1.1MB]

Download Council Tax Support Scheme 2018 to 2019 [PDF, 1.1MB]

Download Council Tax Support Scheme changes for 2018 to 2019 [PDF, 102KB]

Download Council Tax Support Scheme 2017 to 2018 [PDF, 1.1MB]

How we make our decision

The amount of Council Tax Support you can get is based on:

  • your income
  • your savings
  • your circumstances

Please tell us if your circumstances change (in writing) within one month so we can look at our decision and see if your payment needs to be changed.

Second Adult Rebate

Second Adult Rebate is Council Tax Support that is available for people who are responsible for the council tax, have reached the qualifying age for Pension Credit and who share their home with one or more adults (non-dependants) who:

  • are 18 or over and not paying you rent
  • aren't your partner
  • aren't responsible for paying the council tax
  • are on a low income

You can't apply for Second Adult Rebate if you or your partner receive Income Support, income-based Jobseekers Allowance or income-related Employment and Support Allowance. If you're not sure whether to claim Second Adult Rebate, make a claim for full Council Tax Support and we'll check your entitlement.

How to appeal

If you disagree with a Council Tax Support decision, please visit our Council Tax appeals and complaints information page.

View your Council Tax Support online

Use Self Service to view your payments online. It's free and available 24 hours a day.

View your account on Self Service

Once you've set up an account you'll be able to view any payments made to you, see how your payment has been calculated and view documents we've sent to you. Have your entitlement letter and national insurance number ready.

Problems with your account

Use our online form to report a problem with your Self Service account. This includes logging into your account or any security or technical issues you find.

Report a problem

Changes to your circumstances

See our changes to your circumstances affecting benefits page to report any changes. Please tell us as soon as possible, as the change may mean that you're eligible for more Council tax Support.

Chief Executives Direction of Acceptance

 Click here to view the Direction Acceptance of electronic claims and changes of circumstances [PDF, 132KB]