Skip to main content

Housing improvements/disrepair

We like to see tenants and landlords working together to resolve issues but we understand that this is not always possible and as such there are a number of ways residents can receive support.

The Housing Improvement service is to support those facing significant issues affecting health and safety within their home.

We aim to make sure that all housing within the private sector is:

  • in a good state of repair
  • decent
  • safe for the occupants to live in

We deal with concerns such as:

  • the provision of adequate heating
  • fire safety
  • provision of adequate kitchen and bathroom facilities
  • overcrowding
  • reducing the risk from slips, trips and falls

Social housing

Occupiers of social housing have increased protection. You should follow the provider's internal process for raising any concerns/requests. Where a satisfactory response is not received you should use the provider's internal complaints procedure. If you continue to receive an unsatisfactory response you can raise this with the social housing ombudsmen.

Private rented with Agent/Manager

Where there is an agent /manager, who is not the owner, they are legally required to belong to a redress scheme. This information should be available on their website or can be requested from them. The redress scheme is an independent party. If you feel the service that a scheme member has provided falls short of what is expected, you should consider making a complaint to the relevant scheme. The approved schemes are:

Agents/ Managers not in a Redress Scheme

If your agent/manager is not in a redress scheme this should be referred to Trading Standards.

Give your landlord 14 days to respond. Keep copies of any letters or emails you send and recieve.

Property problems

You should ensure that you have given your landlord an opportunity to resolve concerns before you ask us for assistance.

Send a letter or email to the landlord and give them the chance to resolve your concerns.

If your landlord uses an agent you should send the agent a copy of your letter or email. Your tenancy agreement should have an address for your landlord.  

Give your landlord 14 days to respond. Keep copies of any letters or emails you send.

Housing improvement service request

Requests are assessed in date order but concerns about health and safety may take priority.

Where appropriate, and depending upon demand, we will contact you if we can offer help.

We recommend you continue to work with your landlord to try to resolve concerns. 

You will need to provide a copy of your letter or email to the landlord advising of the concerns. Please include any response from your landlord or letting agent.

If you have any pictures of the problems, send these with your request.

Completing a service request gives us permission to contact your landlord and/or agent.