Work will soon be getting under way on a major upgrade of the Napier Terrace car park, off Mutley Plain.
It will be the first of five multi-storey car parks to undergo significant repairs and refurbishment to prolong their lifespan and give drivers a safer, more pleasant welcome.
The improvement works at Napier Terrace, which will begin on Tuesday 11 April, will include:
- a replacement of the expansion joints on the top level, along with complete resurfacing and waterproofing
- concrete repairs and sealing to the lower levels
- new LED lighting and upgraded electrics
- improved general décor, with newly painted ceilings
- better CCTV cameras and coverage
- new security fencing and roller shutters
- more spaces for blue badge holders
- more electric vehicle charging points
- larger bays
The upper (surface) level of the car park is pay and display, for shoppers and visitors while the lower two levels are for season ticket holders only. (As part of the upgrade there are plans to introduce an online system to make it easier for these customers to buy and renew season tickets.)
The upper level will be closed from 11 April until 13 June. For safety reasons the middle level will also need to be closed for three weeks between 22 May and 12 June, while the upper level is being resurfaced. Before resurfacing begins, non-season ticket holders will be allowed to use the middle level, at the normal tariff.
Drivers may park for free any time between 8pm and 8am. Between 8am and 8pm parking is free for up to two hours, with the following charges for longer stays:
- £3 between two and three hours
- £4 between three and four hours
- £5 all day
The nearby Mutley Barracks car park will remain open throughout the works. Drivers may also park on-street, either side of Mutley Plain (although restrictions apply at certain times – please check signage).
We have written to local businesses and residents to make them aware of the improvements and alternative parking options available.
The repair and refurbishment programme will also include the Mayflower East, Regent Street, Theatre Royal and Western Approach car parks – further details will be made available about these works nearer the time.