Central Park Improvements
Exciting changes are happening in the park!
In 2017, the Council committed £9m over the next 4 years to improving Central Park so that it fulfils its potential as one of Plymouth's premier destinations.
We aim to develop the park's primary function, as originally conceived in 1928, as a park devoted to the improvement of the health of Plymouth people by active sport, recreation and leisure activities. Our basis for improvements was the Masterplan created through consultation in 2013.
What have we been up to in 2017?
- Consulted with users and stakeholders about the plan for the park
- Created designs for a new play area, new café, extended skate park with parkour area and refurbished Bowling Pavilion (Community Sports Hub)
- Progressed plans for drainage, sports pitches, tennis courts, Pounds Park, paths, park furniture, access and the overall natural environment
- Submitted planning applications for the new café and sports plateau
- Improved entrances, boundaries, allotments and trees
- Initiated a new volunteer programme
Coming up in 2018
- Build the skate park, new play area and sports plateau
- Begin work on the café, Community Sports Hub, tennis courts and sports pitches
- Develop a proposal for drainage improvements
- Resurface a number of paths
- Continue with heritage, access and landscape improvements
- Install several new allotment fences and gates
- Progress plans for Pounds Park, paths, entrances, park furniture, and the natural environment
- Develop the volunteer programme
- Further consultation with stakeholders and users
Sketch design of proposed new cafe
Skate Park extension and parkour area
Get involved and help care for Plymouth's biggest park. Why not have a look at our volunteer programme for January to March 2018.
Friends of Central Park
Find out more about how you can care for Central Park on the Friends of Central Park Facebook page.
Follow us on our Nature Plymouth Facebook page.