Central Park improvements
Central Park map [PDF, 4MB]
Exciting changes are happening in the park!
In 2017, the Council committed £9m over the next four years to improving Central Park so that it fulfils its potential as one of Plymouth's premier destinations.
We aim to develop the park's primary function, as originally conceived in 1928, as a park devoted to the improvement of the health of Plymouth people by active sport, recreation and leisure activities. Our basis for improvements is the Masterplan created through consultation in 2013.
What have we been up to in 2017-18?
- Consulted with users and stakeholders to help us finalise designs
- Built the skate park extension
- Repaired and resurfaced 1800 metres of path through Pounds Park, Venn Lane and the wider park
- Started work on the play area, events field, sports plateau and junior football pitch by the bowling pavilion
- Created designs for a new café and refurbished Bowling Pavilion (Community Sports Hub)
- Progressed plans for drainage, sports pitches, Pounds Park, paths, park furniture, access and the overall natural environment
- Submitted planning applications for the new café, sports plateau, sports hub and tennis courts
- Improved entrances, boundaries, trees and allotments
- Repaired park heritage such as Devon Banks and the Ford Park entrance pillars
- Installed several new allotment fences and gates
- Initiated a new volunteer programme
Coming up from August 2018 to Spring 2019
- Complete the play area, events field and sports plateau
- Begin work on the café, Community Sports Hub and tennis courts
- Finalise a drainage strategy for the park and start works
- Continue to resurface paths and the wooded valley
- Continue with heritage, access and landscape improvements
- Progress plans for Pounds Park, paths, entrances, park furniture, and the natural environment
- Develop the volunteer programme
- Further consultation with stakeholders and users
The play area is now open and it has been great to see so many people enjoying the park. Thank you to everyone who joined us at the opening event.
Get involved and help care for Plymouth's biggest park; see our new volunteer programme for November 2018 to February 2019:
Volunteer July to August 2019 [PDF, 3MB]
Central Park quarterly update
Find out more about what has been happening in the park with our quarterly update:
Central Park quarterly update (June 2019) [PDF, 493KB]
We are pleased to announce that works on the new café and Community Sports Hub are scheduled to start in early November with expected completion at the end of May 2019.
Sketch design of proposed new café
Sketch design of proposed new Community Sports Hub
See the dog control areas around the central area of the park here.
For more information on dogs on leads areas in the park, click here.
Friends of Central Park
Find out more about how you can care for Central Park on the Friends of Central Park Facebook page.
Follow us on our Nature Plymouth Facebook page.
Central Park mailing list
Please join our mailing list by emailing email@example.com
Privacy Guidelines [PDF, 120KB]