Skip to main content

Plan your street party

If you're planning to celebrate the Coronation with your friends, family and community, we want to ensure you have all the information you need to make it as simple as possible for you to arrange. You will find a host of useful information and guidance on this page to help you.

Planning your street party

The Coronation Big Lunch (6 to 8 May 2023) brings neighbours and communities together to share friendship, food and fun. Be part of history and join millions across the UK with a Coronation Big Lunch celebration. More detail on getting involved is available on the Coronation Big Lunch website including free Coronation Big Lunch packs full of ideas, inspiration, top tips and the practical bits to help get your Coronation celebration started.

If you're planning to celebrate the Coronation in Plymouth with your friends, family and community, by organising a street party. We want to ensure you have all the information you need to make it as simple as possible to arrange. A street party really is best on a closed road as more people join in and it is great to have no traffic for the day.

In order to encourage communities to take part, Plymouth City Council are waiving fees for road closures for street parties on 6, 7 and 8 May. The deadline to apply for a road closure is 20 March. 

If you are not able to arrange a formal road closure, you may be able to have an informal Street Meet. Guidance can be found on Street Party's 'Street Meets’ website.

Apply for a road closure

What you need to submit

  • application details
  • a street plan of your event
  • a copy of your resident's consultation letter
  • any objections that need to be escalated 

How long you have to submit your application

Applications have now closed.


Plymouth City Council has waived the fee for road closures between 6 to 8 May 2023 to support the Coronation celebrations. 

Signage and Barriers

  • Road signs must be in accordance with the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016. A ‘Road Closed’ sign must be in place at each end of your closure, if your road is more complex you may also need a ‘Road Ahead Closed’ sign.
  • Residents must obtain their own signs & barriers. You may be able to hire signs from local companies
  • For local closures, you may also be able to use waterproof banners and hang them from bins etc (Daylight use only, beware of strong wind)

Important things to know

  • Your road may not be suitable for a street party. We may refuse your application if it'll have a significant impact on traffic or if it's not a residential road.
  • If needed, you must clean the street in order to return it to its condition prior to the closure. This must be done before the road is reopened. An inspection will be carried out the week before and after your event to identify any defects or issues
  • Roads must be accessible for all emergency vehicles at all times. We recommend that at least 3.7m of open road space is kept.
  • Access for vehicles, residents and businesses must be maintained during any closure period.
  • On-street parking can't be refused or restricted other than through an existing Traffic Regulation Order.
  • The road or roads may only be closed on the dates and times specified.
  • Each closure should be supervised at all times by a responsible and clearly identifiable adult.
  • Sharing drinks with your neighbours is permitted, however, alcohol must not be sold at your event unless you have a separate licence
  • You cannot stop traffic to close a road, wait until there is no traffic approaching and then put out your road closed signs.

Make your application

Applications have now closed.

If you have any questions contact