Choose a builder
Our builders list
The following list of builders are known to Plymouth City Council Building Control and are regular customers who have correctly followed the regulatory process in the past.
This list does not extend to an 'approved', 'recommended' or 'registered' level but satisfy the following criteria:
- They use our online application process or submit applications by telephone
- Their projects are inspected at the agreed times from commencement to completion by our LABC building control team
- We've received no complaints from the company in at the last two years
- They take part in building control online training
- They attend at least two CPD training events per year
- They've submitted at least three projects through LABC in the recent past
Builders list [PDF, 167KB]
Please note: We have no financial or contractual links with the following companies. It is up to the customer to ensure that suitable contracts and/or regulatory approvals are in place before works commence on site.
Useful tips to avoid cowboy builders:
- Get personal recommendations from friends and neighbours
- Get a quotation from more than one builder
- Decide exactly what you want before asking for a quote
- Ask the builder for references from other clients
- Don't be hurried into a decision
- Agree payment terms
- Avoid paying the total amount up front (we recommend you avoid paying the total amount up front if possible, however your builder may require stage payments depending on the length of the contract and amount of work involved)
- Consider using a building contract which sets out precise arrangements for the work to be done and what is expected from you and your builder
Buy with Confidence
We can help you find a local approved trader through our Buy with Confidence scheme. Every business listed has undergone a series of checks before being approved as a member of the scheme. Visit the Buy with Confidence website to search for an approved trader.
If you're having trouble with a builder or contractor email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01752 307948.