Party wall information

You may have to tell your neighbours if you intend to carry out building work that involves:

  • working on a wall or structure that you share with them
  • building a free standing wall, or a wall of a building, up to or astride the boundary of their property
  • digging below or near their property or building

You must tell your neighbours if your building work is covered in the Party Wall Act.

Examples of this type of work include:

  • building a new wall
  • cutting into a party wall
  • making a party wall taller, shorter or deeper
  • removing chimneys from a party wall
  • knocking down and rebuilding a party wall

The Party Wall Act provides a framework for preventing and resolving disputes in relation to party walls, boundary walls and excavations near neighbouring buildings. The act is separate from obtaining planning permission or building regulations approval.

We can help you find a local approved surveyor through our Buy with Confidence scheme. Every business listed has undergone a series of checks before being approved as a member of the scheme. Visit the Buy with Confidence website to search for an approved surveyor.

GOV.UK has more information on party walls and preventing and resolving disputes in relation to party walls including an explanatory booklet.

Regulations that apply: