Competent person scheme
Some work can be carried out without needing building regulation approval if you've used an installer registered with a competent person scheme.
Types of work covered by a scheme include:
- Cavity and solid wall insulation
- Gas appliances
- Hot water and heating systems connected to gas appliances
- Heating or hot water system connected to an electric heat source
- Fixed air conditioning or mechanical ventilation systems
- Electrical installation work in dwellings or in association with other work (for example kitchen installations, boiler installations)
- Windows, doors, roof windows, or roof lights in dwellings
- Plumbing and water supply systems and bathrooms and sanitary ware
- Roof coverings on pitched and flat roofs
- Microgeneration or renewable technologies
Visit the GOV.UK website for a full list of the types of building work covered by a scheme or if you're still unsure if you need building regulation approval, you can contact the duty surveyor (email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01752 304343, available Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5pm and Fridays 8.30am to 4.30pm) to talk through your proposal or application and if needed a free pre-application meeting can be arranged.