Access to the Approved Documents
Building regulations protect the health, safety and welfare of people in and about buildings. The regulations generally apply to new, extended and altered buildings whether they are residential, commercial or industrial. Building control regulates the design and construction of buildings, making sure they meet the minimum standards set out in building regulations.
You're responsible for complying to building regulations if you're carrying out the building work or the owner of the building (if you aren't the same person). Before you make a building regulation application check if you need building regulation approval as there are a wide range of developments that don't require permission.
GOV.UK has a series of Approved Documents which provide guidance on how you can comply with the building regulations.
- Structure: covers structural elements of a building
- Fire safety covers fire safety matters within and around buildings
- Damp-proofing: covers the condition of the ground upon which a building is to be built
- Toxic substances: covers the prevention of toxic substances in buildings
- Resistance to sound: covers the resistance to the passage of sound and sound insulation
- Ventilation: covers ventilation requirements to maintain indoor air quality
- Sanitation, hot water safety and water efficiency: covers hot water safety and efficiency of water in buildings
- Drainage and waste disposal: covers foul water drainage and disposal
- Combustion appliances and fuel storage systems: covers fuel systems and combustion products
- Protection from falling, collision and impact: covers protection from falling, collision and impact in and around the building
- Conservation of fuel and power: covers the standards for the energy performance of new and existing buildings.
- Access to and use of buildings: covers access and use buildings and their facilities
- Electrical safety: covers electrical safety in dwellings
- Security in dwellings: covers security in dwellings
- High speed electronic communications networks: covers requirements for high-speed electronic communications networks in buildings
- Material and workmanship: covers standards of the building materials and skills used
- Party walls: covers party walls and building work and preventing and resolving disputes in relation to party walls
Each document contains general guidance on the performance expected of materials and building work and practical examples and solutions on how to achieve compliance for some of the more common building situations.
Email email@example.com or call 01752 304343 for more information.