Highways applications for permits and licences

We issue the following permits and licences if you want to carry out works or events on our highways

Skip Application

If you want to put a skip on a public road you need to apply for a skip permit/licence. You can't put a skip on the pavement. You don't need a licence if you're putting the skip entirely on private land.

Skip Application

You also need a licence for skip bags and hippobags.

You may need to put safety lights and markings on or around the skip, and you could be fined up to £1,000 if you fail to do this.

Scaffolding and hoardings

If you want to put scaffolding or a hoarding on or next to a public road you need to apply for a licence.

You need to use a scaffolding company with traffic signs manual chapter 8 accreditation and £5 million public liability insurance.

Scaffolding and hoardings

White bar markings

You can ask us to paint a white line or bar marking on the road outside your house to show drivers that they shouldn't block access to your off-road parking area. The line only advises others drivers not to park there but has no legal standing so we can't prosecute someone for parking there. The Police can take action against someone blocking your vehicle in your driveway.

A white bar marking costs £180.

White bar markings


If you would like to place a banner at one of the Plymouth City Council’s official sites to advertise your business/event, you'll need to apply for permission. Registered charities may advertise once a year free of charge, all other applicants must pay a £45 fee to allow their banner to be placed for up to 28 days.



PDF icon Category 1 and 2 application form [PDF, 679KB]

PDF icon Category 1 and 2 guidance [PDF, 148KB]

PDF icon Category 3 application form and guidance [PDF, 453KB]

 Categories 1 and 2 roads [PDF, 278KB]

PDF icon Domestic vehicle crossing application form and checklist [PDF, 512KB]

 N Notice (Notice of works) [PDF, 304KB]

 Portable traffic signals application [PDF, 81KB]

PDF icon Section 171 application [PDF, 129KB]

PDF icon Section 171 application (VXO) [PDF, 349KB]

PDF icon Section 50 (new apparatus) licence application and checklist [650KB]

PDF icon Section 50 (existing apparatus) licence application and checklist [PDF, 524KB]

 Tables and chairs on the highway application and terms and condtions [PDF, 1.5MB]

PDF icon Request a Temporary Road Closure [PDF,368KB]