Help with travel costs for 16+ with special or medical needs

If you're a student, 16 or over, with special or medical needs and can't use public transport, we may be able to provide assistance with transport.

You may be able to get help if:

  • you live in Plymouth
  • you're registered at the nearest school or college offering your chosen course
  • you're attending a full time course for at least 450 hours per academic year, over three terms (approximately 12 hours per week)
  • you're studying up to GCSE A Level, National Diploma or equivalent

Transport will be provided:

  • up to the end of the academic year in which you reach the age of 21 providing you start your course before your nineteenth birthday
  • at normal school/college start and finish times (unless there's exceptional circumstances)

How much this will cost

You're required to make a contribution of £475 per year towards the cost of this transport. It's possible to make arrangements to pay this by instalments if necessary.

Students who are attending a residential school or college outside Plymouth will be entitled to one return journey at the beginning and end of each term and half term.

Transport will be provided at normal school/college start and finish times unless there are very exceptional circumstances to be considered.

How to apply

Complete the application form below and return it to School Transport, Windsor House, Tavistock Road, Plymouth, PL6 5UF.

Download Apply for 16+ school transport [PDF, 194KB]

How to appeal

Stage one

You can request a review of our decision within 20 working days. You'll receive notification in writing of the outcome within 20 working days. If your review is unsuccessful you can move to stage two.

Stage two

You can appeal against the decision within 20 working days of the review. An independent panel will considered your appeal within 40 working days. You'll receive notification in writing of the panel's decision within five working days of the appeal being considered.

If you still think your application or appeal hasn't been dealt with you can contact the Local Government Ombudsman.

City College Plymouth offer a half hourly shuttle bus service to and from the city centre and the college main sites. Students can use the bus free of charge with their college ID card. This service is a low floor disabled access vehicle. Contact the college for more details and a bus timetable. Plymouth College of Art offer some assistance with travel costs, contact the college for more details.

If you're on a low income you may be eligible for extra assistance from our Access Bursary Fund.

Email or call 01752 308770 for more information.