Free access to leisure facilities for national sportspeople
Coronavirus (Covid-19): Information about Sport and leisure
The Free Access for National Sportspeople (FANS) scheme provides the city's national and international level sportspeople with free access to a range of leisure facilities in the city to help them achieve their full potential by reducing the financial burden of training costs.
Check if you qualify
The scheme is open to Plymouth's elite sportspeople of all ages who compete at a national level or above in any sport recognised by Sport England.
To be eligible for the scheme you must:
- reside within the recognised city boundaries, or be affiliated to a Plymouth sports club
- be a current member, and compete for a national or international team/squad in a sport recognised by Sport England
- represent, and compete for your home country (for example England, Wales, Jamaica) or Great Britain in a sport recognised by Sport England
- be an athlete that's currently supported by Plymouth Marjon University's 'Making a Difference' programme
How to apply
Guidance is available in the FANS scheme leaflet.
FANS scheme leaflet [PDF, 270KB]
Alternatively download the following form.
FANS scheme application form [Word, 119KB]
Return completed application forms to the Sports Development Unit, Windsor House, Plymouth PL6 5UF. Supporting evidence will be required from a National Governing Body of Sport to confirm that you've been selected to represent your home country in your chosen sport.
Facilities available to use
The following leisure facilities support the FANS scheme:
- Brickfields Sports Centre - gym and athletics track
- Derriford Centre for Health and Wellbeing - gym
- Elfordleigh Hotel, Golf and Leisure - gym
- Fort Stamford Health and Fitness - gym
- Marjon Sport and Health Centre - swimming pool
- Plymouth Life Centre - gym and swimming pool
- Plympton Pool and Gym - swimming pool and gym
Membership of the scheme is renewable every year where you'll have to show continued sports performance at a national level or above.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01752 307008 for more information about the scheme.